. . .Maybe We Shouldn't

Stuart's POV

It's been a week since Liz and I decided to break up. I tried to talk to her about it, but she kept changing the subject and avoiding it. Soon she started to avoid me, which is hard to do considering the fact that we work 12 feet apart.

I haven't slept. I barely eat. Every time I look at Liz, my heart sinks into the pit in my stomach. Every night, I've debated going to her apartment and making her talk to me, but I've never been able to gather the courage.

I haven't talked to my friends about it. They've asked, but I've been ignoring them. I haven't even talked to Liz. At work, she'll ask me to do something and I usually just answer with a nod or a simple yes.

It's been the longest week of my life. Liz was at another meeting so I was in the office alone. I jumped when there was a knock at the door. "Okay, I know something is wrong so spill."

I looked over my shoulder to see Neha standing in the doorway. "Liz and I broke up."

"What?" She gasped. She walked into the office and sat at one of the chairs in front of my desk. "When did this happen?"

"Last week. Liz was at her meeting and I was eating lunch with you guys. After Eric and Kenny came up to us, I talked to Liz. She got nervous and said that we should take a break for a while."

"I'm so sorry, Stuart. I know how much you liked her," she said as she reached across my desk and took my hand.

"I don't just like her, Neha." I sighed, feeling exhausted and defeated. "I. . . I'm in love with her."

"Really?" Neha asked with a big smile on her face.

"Yeah, I mean. . . She's funny, she's easy to talk to, she beautiful. When I'm with her, I . . . I can't explain how she makes me feel I just know that I feel something I have never felt."

"Then go after her." Neha said like it was the most obvious thing in the world.

"But she. . ." I stuttered.

"Stuart, shut up." She said, firmly. "If you really love her, then get off your ass and fight for her."

*****

After Neha headed back to her office, I kept thinking about what she said. She was right. If I really did love her, I couldn't just sit back. I had to fight for her.

I quickly stood up and headed down the hall, looking for Liz. My breath got caught in my throat when I saw her walking right towards me.

"Liz," I said making her stop.

"Stuart? You okay?" She asked as she got closer to me.

"No, I'm not." I grabbed her wrist and pulled her into a utility closet that we just happened to be standing in front of.

"Stuart," she gasped as I shut the door.

I cut her off and pressed my lips to hers. I moaned when I felt her lips move in sync with mine. Damn, I've missed this.

"Stuart," she gasped, pulling away. "What are you. . . We can't do this," she whispered.

"But I want to," I said tucking a piece of hair behind her ear. "Liz, I've missed you. So much. And I can't take it anymore. I hate having to walk around this office, see you and know that we can't be together. Liz, I. . ."

"We can't do this," she whispered, taking a step back.

"Liz," I said, my heart dropping into my stomach.

"I'm sorry," she whispered, a tear falling down her cheek. She quickly opened the door and left me standing alone surrounded by cleaning supplies.

I ran my hands through my hair, frustrated. I took a deep breath before slipping out. I looked to the right, the direction of Liz's office and then down the other way towards Mr. Chetty's office.

I didn't hesitate to turn left.