41. My Little Boy

Joel

"He's what?"

"He's gone home," Cole said sheepishly.

"When? Why?" I said, feeling a pit of dred settle in my stomach.

I knew I shouldn't have left him. Every bone in my body screamed at me not to leave him this morning. But did I listen? No! And now he was at least another 3 hours drive away.

Sebastian had asked me to come into work this morning and Nathan had practically dragged me there. We just needed to fill in some more paperwork, and I had to message all the members of Flow to officially close down the group.

I'd been gone for just 5 hours. 5 hours that had felt like 500 without him by my side. I ached for him, desperate to feel the comfort I got from just being near him, and now he was gone. And my heart felt like it was breaking.

"Hey, Joel, it'll be ok," Cole said, lightly rubbing my back. "He couldn't remember what happened that night, and he has no idea that you were even there. You just need to go and talk to him."

"Yes, you're right," I said, suddenly jumping into action.

Three hours, that was all. Three hours and I could be in his arms again.

But how would he take it? I didn't want to just rock up and be all like, 'Hi Casper, remember me? The one who you said you never wanted to see again? Well, funny story, but it turns out I am your mate after all.'

Never mind, I had three hours to plan what to say.

"Can I come with you?" piped up a voice from next to me.

I turned to look at Cole.

"Hmm, is this because you want to meet Lyla?"

"No, I just want to be able to offer support to my friend. If I happen to see Lyla while I'm there, well that's just a bonus."

I narrowed my eyes at him, then passed him my phone.

"Call your dad. If he says it's ok, you can come."

I went upstairs and packed my things quickly. By the time I got downstairs, I heard Cole finishing his phone call, a huge smile on his face.

"He said I can go! My dad and Nathan are going to drive up later and meet us there."

"Great, hurry up and grab your stuff because I'm leaving in 5," I said, heading outside to put my things in my car.

In just 4 minutes Cole was in my car buckling up, a ridiculous, excited grin on his face.

"So," said Cole after we'd been driving for some time, "what are you going to say to Casper?"

"I have an idea," I said, taking my hand briefly off the steering wheel to feel for the pin that was in my pocket, "but I'm going to need some help."

Cole cocked his head slightly to one side, "how can I help?"

"Well, first, we're going to have to enlist the help of Lyla and Mark. Are you ready to meet your sister?"

______________________

I pulled into the small village that I grew up in, feeling overwhelmingly nostalgic.

I may have already been back to Blackwood Manor, but I avoided the village. I wasn't sure if I'd be welcomed, not by my family, of course they would welcome me, but I still wasn't sure how Casper would feel about me coming back.

Now it was different. Even though I was still nervous about his reaction, I was his mate. That had to mean something, right?

Word had got back to my mum and dad that I was alive and working with Sebastian against the hunters, but I hadn't had spoken to either of them myself since I left.