chapter 21|| promises

"Tonight we're the scent of your long black hair"

  "Spread out like your breath across my back"

Since Sweet Pea's mom has been back, I haven't seen much of him. He missed school on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday. And on Wednesday and Friday, he's really quiet and I can see he's exhausted.

He's been helping his mom get situated back in Riverdale. He's been going with her to help her get electricity and water again, and helping her go grocery shopping. He's also been helping her sober up, which I know can't be easy.

But even though she's caused him so much pain, I can tell that he loves her. How can he not? She's his only family. He'd do anything for her.

I've been so secretly worried about Sweet Pea all week that I don't notice the drama that Veronica has been starting about me. I have already forgotten the sleep over last Friday, but I guess Veronica is still fuming about it. I don't have time to worry about her and I think this makes here even more mad.

On Friday I'm packing up my things in my math class when my teacher asks to see me after class. Cheryl looks at me and shrugs before she leaves the class to meet up with Toni.

"Reagan," my teacher starts. "I know this is none of my business, but I noticed Sweet Pea walking you to class today." 

"Uh, yeah?" I say. I'm confused.

"He's missed a lot of school this week. I have him in my second hour."

"Yeah, he's got some stuff going on at home."

My teacher looks around the classroom to make sure we're alone. The door is open, but the students pass by outside without giving us a second thought.

"Look, Reagan, you're one of the brightest students at Riverdale. But you got a pretty low grade on your quiz yesterday. I just wanted to say, sometimes you have to think about yourself before you can think about anyone else."

It takes me a second to realize what my teacher is saying.

"Oh, right. Okay thanks," I dismiss their comment.

 ° º ° ° º ° ° º ° ° º ° ° º ° 

I'm on the back of Sweet Pea's motorcycle as he's driving us back home to Sunnyside. I have my arms around him, but not as tight as they normally are.

When we get to the park he slows down and stops in front of my trailer.

"Everyone's going to the Whyte Wyrm tonight," I tell him. Normally he'd park his bike and walk me up to the door, but he hasn't gotten off his bike.

"I don't think I can, Ray," he responds.

"Okay, then. Text me," I say and without a kiss goodbye I turn to walk into the trailer.

 ° º ° ° º ° ° º ° ° º ° ° º ° 

We're all a the Whyte Wyrm having a good time, except me. I sit in a booth with Toni, Fangs, and two other Serpents. They're all talking about the Riverdale drama, but I don't chime in.

The two boys start their own conversation and Toni turns her attention to me. "What's wrong,  Reagan?" she asks me.

"Nothing, just tired I think," I answer.

"Are you upset about the Veronica drama?" she asks. "I can't believe how dramatic she was today at lunch when you sat down at the table."

"I honestly did not notice her. I don't care really care that Veronica is mad at me."