chapter 27|| threats

"If I told you that I knew about the sun and the moon, I'd be untrue"

     "The only thing I know for sure Is what I won't do"

We don't move for a long time. My head is on his chest and my hand on his lower stomach. He runs his hands through my hair. None of us say anything. We don't need too.

I always enjoy my alone time with Sweet Pea, but this was different. It felt so ... real. Not to say all the other times were fake or not true, but this time was special.

I know he's still mad at me, but the anger has left his body that was once so tense. I can feel his breath under my head and I sync mine with his.

When we hear the front door open, we both sit up. He reaches for his pants and I reach for my shirt. He gets dressed in less than 30 seconds, although he's missing his underwear and a sock. I take a little longer to get dressed, but I manage to get all my clothing on.

I walk out of my room first, inspecting who has entered the trailer and I see Jughead. The clock on the wall reads 11pm, but it's a half an hour slow.

I look back in my room at Sweet Pea and nod. He comes out, gives me a kiss on the corner of my mouth, and leaves the trailer.

"Looks like you guys have kissed and made up," Jughead comments.

I don't respond verbally. I return to my room at shut the door.

° º ° ° º ° ° º ° ° º ° ° º °

Things seem like they're returned to normal, but I know deep down they haven't. Sweet Pea and I need to talk things out, but anytime I open my mouth to talk about me moving away, he silences me with a kiss. I know he needs more time, but we don't have much more time together. The days are counting down.

At lunch, he sits with his arm around me like nothing has happened. I haven't told anyone else I'm leaving, although I'm sure Jughead told Betty. Sweet Pea hasn't told anyone either, I don't think he's talked to anyone about it.

I try to eat my school lunch, but I don't have an appetite. I haven't for a while now. I push my tray over towards Sweet Pea and he says nothing as he grabs my fork to finish my green beans.

We're sitting with Cheryl, Toni, Fangs, and Jughead. Betty had to work on something during lunch in the library. I think she's actually trying to find excuses not to sit with Veronica at lunch.

Across the hall Veronica sits with a few other cheer leaders. We make eye contact through the chaos of the cafeteria. Something about her gaze makes me uneasy, but I can't look away. Her eyebrows come closer together and she squints her eyes at me. I feel like I'm her prey.

Sweet Pea breaks my attention by squeezing my shoulder and when I look at him he leans over to peck me on my cheek.

I return my gaze to Veronica, but she's already stood up and started her walk out of the cafeteria.

° º ° ° º ° ° º ° ° º ° ° º °

We're all in the student lounge after school: Betty, Jughead, Archie, Toni, Cheryl, Kevin, Fangs, Sweet Pea and I.

We're all talking about the end of the year and finals. Sweet Pea and I stay quiet while listening to everyone's conversations. I sit on one of the couches with him, my legs curled up against him and his arm around me. My head rests on his shoulder.

I see everyone's expression change as the look at the door behind Sweet Pea and I. I don't have to look because seconds later I hear heels against the floor. It must be Veronica who entered.