Chapter Two

Summary: Virgil and Roman's first date.

Virgil sat in his apartment wondering if he should message Roman first or wait. It was an argument with himself. Rationally he knew that Roman was interested as he had been openly flirting with him, yet he couldn't help but worry that Roman was just playing with him, that he wasn't actually interested

He had never asked anyone out before as people tended to be holding out for their soulmates (so he didn't want to risk offending them). Dating apps were for finding a soulmate, and if you didn't have one you were treated as different, as an outcast.

Virgil often thought how it wasn't fair how soulmate relationships were treated like they were more important. How he'd always be a pity case for others because they knew that no one would ever put him first.

There was a group of people fighting for the way societies view soulmate relationship to be changed. They were known as members of the "Soulmate Equality Movement", their main goal was to normalize people who weren't interested in romantic relationships and people who have no soulmark. It also fought for the normalization of chosen soulmates and more representation for those who do not fit this standard.

It was a good cause and Virgil supported it, but he wasn't much of an activist for it, though he did try to include representation in his novels.

Virgil thought of all this as he procrastinated messaging Roman. Luckily for him, he was taken out of these thoughts by Roman messaging him.

Roman

Greetings! Tis' I, Roman we met at Caffeine Dream I wanted to know if you were interested in going out to dinner with me soon?

Virgil smiled when he read the text.

Virgil

Hey. And yeah I'm down. What day were you thinking?

Roman

You know that Italian Restaurant by the coffee shop?

Virgil

I do. Want to meet there? I'm free Saturday at 6:30pm

Roman

Sounds Marvelous! I'll see you then.

Virgil

See you then!

Virgil put his phone down and smiled at the thought of going on a date.

This feeling was new. It terrified Virgil no doubt, but he also found it absolutely exhilarating and interesting, and he wanted this feeling to stay more than he wanted to repress it.

Either way he smiled to himself, excited for the date later this week.

--

The rest of the week went by at a pace that Virgil wasn't sure if it was too slow or too fast for him.

As the week went on Virgil's nervousness built up, as did his excitement for the date.

At around 4pm he began to get ready, going for a somewhat formal look. He put on a light purple shirt, a nice black jacket, and some black jeans. But he kept his dark purple Converses, as they matched the outfit, and Virgl wanted to at least be comfortable somewhere.

At around 5:45 he left his apartment and began the short walk to the restaurant.

He ended up being a bit early, so he sat on a bench outside and waited for his date. He was people watching, yet he still missed Roman coming up to him.

He was startled out of his thoughts by Roman tapping him on the shoulders. He jumped slightly, but then began to laugh. "Jesus, Roman, you startled me."

Roman was wearing a pretty formal outfit but he kept his theme. He was wearing a button up white shirt with a red jacket, dark jeans, and black shoes.

Roman chuckled. "You don't say?" He then held his hand out for Virgil to take. "Come on, I made a reservation for us to ensure that we wouldn't have to wait."

Virgil smirked. "One to be prepared, are you, or are you just not patient? Either way I dig it." This caused Roman to blush but no one acknowledged it, though it made Virgil smile victoriously because for some reason he loved making Roman blush.

They were led to the table and the two made small talk, but it wasn't anything big, and there was a bit of quiet as they looked over the menu and placed their orders. After the waitress got their orders, they began to talk more.

Virgil learned that Roman was a former stage actor who acted in a few off-broadway performances in New York. He then later moved out of there and became a Theater and English teacher at a local school.

This surprised Virgil, as they lived in a small city that was mainly families. Most people their age moved out of this place as soon as possible.

"Why'd you move out of New York City to come to a city like this? Most would give anything to go out and perform."

Roman chuckled at that. "Well, I think you'll come to find I'm not like most. I came to realize that I wanted to help get kids into theater and to be a good influence on at least one child. Plus, strangely enough, I wanted something different, and I never lived anywhere smaller than the suburbs outside of NYC. But I wasn't really interested in a very small town, they always seemed too close-knit for my liking. So after my time performing, I went back to school to get an education degree with a minor in English and got a job here."

Virgil listened, honestly incredibly invested. Roman only stopped when the waitress came back with food.

After eating for a few minutes Roman spoke again.

"So you know my job and where I'm from, what about you? How'd you end up here."

Virgil shrugged. "Grew up in a really small town, one where literally everyone knew everyone well. And honestly I personally didn't see the appeal of towns like that either, so I left and I got into a college as far as way as possible because I wanted a change, which honestly was another extreme as it was a huge college town, or at least it felt huge to me. Got an English degree and started working on my first novel. While writing it I moved here because I felt it was a good change of pace and it's honestly a nice middle group from the two extremes that I have lived, plus you'd be surprised at how many ideas can come from towns like these. I self-published that novel plus a few more and I make enough to support myself, and I also teach writing classes one night a week at a local community center."

He left out how a huge deciding factor to leave was because he was sick of being known as "The Boy With No Soulmark", but he decided a long time ago that he didn't owe that to anyone since there was no need to spill every detail, especially one that could get him hurt again.

When Virgil finished, he realized that Roman was staring at him completely focused on him, seeming like he was watching the most interesting person in the world.

Virgil blushed at this, which caused Roman to chuckle and blush. The conversation continued and before they knew it, it was almost 8:30 and they had finished their food long ago.

They paid, tipped, and left, smiling at each other the entire time.

They held hands as they left, feeling a comfort that was indescribable. One that was foreign, but not unwelcomed, as it felt so nice. They walked around the town and stopped at the park to stare at the stars in the night sky above them.

When they were done it was nearly 10pm, and the two decided it was best for them to part ways for the night.

They said their goodbyes and went back home, both smiling at the possible future they could have.