Chapter 2: An Unlikely Fortune

I growled as my dad forced me to get up and go with him to see a friend of his.

"Dad, I don't want to go," I growled. "I want to stay home!"

"I know you do, but you need to get out and do something," my dad replied. "I don't want you to be a loser."

I slumped over. "Wow. Thanks, Dad."

"You're welcome." With that, I followed my dad to the car. "Come on, honey, it won't be that bad." Dad tried to make me feel better.

I shot him a glare. "Shut up."

"Don't talk to your father like that!" He scolded me.

"Whatever." I rolled my eyes.

Dad turned on the ignition and backed out of the driveway. He turned and drove down the street.

"They live on the beach. I'm sure you'll have fun in the water."

"Uh huh."

Dad gave up on trying to convince me to change my mood and let me pout as we drove.

Finally, we pulled into a driveway. We got out of the car and we're immediately greeted by a woman with golden hair.

"Larimar!" She exclaimed.

"Yellow Diamond!" Dad replied. "So good to see you!"

Yellow looked at me. "Lapis! We finally meet!"

"Yeah..." I looked away.

"She's not very excited." I heard my Dad tell Yellow.

"That's okay. Mine isn't very excited either."

They both walked inside, so I followed them.

"Peridot! Get downstairs!" Yellow shouted.

I perked up.

Peridot?

There she was, stomping down the stairs and grunting angrily. Then she looked over at me.

"Lapis!" She shouted, dashing towards me and picking me up.

"Peridot!" I exclaimed as she hugged me tightly. Her skin didn't burn me at all this time. It only felt soothingly warm.

"I told you you'd like her," Yellow said.

"How do you two know each other?" Dad asked us.

"We met at school," Peridot quickly replied. She pressed her nose against my cheek and smiled her adorable smile.

"Why were you in such a bad mood, Lapis?" Dad asked.

"You didn't tell me Peridot would be here!" I exclaimed.

"Let's go swimming!" Peridot shouted childishly.

She put me down and let me go get ready. I picked up the bag I brought with me and walked to the bathroom. Five minutes later, I walked out in my swimsuit. Peridot was sitting on the couch, waiting for me. She hadn't changed.

"Ready?" She asked.

"Yeah...where's your swimsuit?" I asked as I sat down next to her.

Right then and there, Peridot pulled off her shirt. I immediately looked away, feeling Peridot's gaze on my back.

"What's wrong?" She asked me in a worried tone.

"I was expecting that you would be wearing a swimsuit," I quickly muttered.

"Oh." Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Peridot toss a pair of shorts onto the floor. "Does this make you uncomfortable?" Her arms wrapped around me and held me close to her.