Chapter 8: Nightmares

I looked around.

"Peridot?" I looked around. "Peridot!"

I looked around a tree. Then I saw the figure.

"Are you lost?" She asked, walking towards me.

I sniffled and nodded. "I can't find Peridot..." The figure stepped in front of me.

"I'll help you find her." She said.

"O-okay..." the figure took my hand and led me away. I looked around. "Where are we?" I asked.

"We're going to find your friend," the figure replied.

"I don't know this place!" I shouted.

Suddenly, four walls surrounded us. We were in a room with no escape. The figure revealed herself to have sharp fangs and red eyes. I gasped.

Her.

"Dinner is served!" She exclaimed. She jumped towards me, her mouth going straight for my neck. The pain stung.

I sat up, gasping for air. Without thinking, I grabbed my phone and dialed Peridot's number. After a few rings, she answered.

"Lapis," she began, speaking tiredly. "Why are you calling me at two a.m.?"

"I had a nightmare," I replied.

"It's not real..." Peridot yawned. "Just go back to bed."

"There was a vampire!"

No response.

"Alright," Peridot said, scooting over to give me a spot on her bed. "What happened in your nightmare?" She asked.

"I was lost...l-looking for you! And...someone came up to me. She said she'd help me find you, so I followed her. Then...these walls appeared around us...a-and...sh-she..."

"She bit you." Peridot completed my sentence. I nodded. "...that's too much. We can't treat this like a game anymore," she said. "This is serious."

"It was just a dream," I said.

"That's not just a dream, Lapis. That's a vision," Peridot said. "Even if it is just a dream, that's too much. We have to start taking this seriously. I'm going to have my eye on you at all times, okay?"

"O-okay..."

"I can't let them take you from me." Peridot looked at me with wide eyes. "Not like they've taken so many people."

"...s-so many?"

"They live on blood, Lapis. What do you expect?" Peridot asked. "We need to get you back home. I'm staying in your room to protect you." She kissed my forehead.

"How are we gonna get back in the house without waking up my dad?" I asked. "And what will your mom think when you're gone?!"

"She's used to me being gone. Plus, if she really wants to know where I am, she'll call me," Peridot replied.

"Will you tell her about the vampires?" I asked.

Peridot nodded. "Enough chit-chat. Let's get you home."

She got up, so I followed her. We walked out of the house and quietly got into her car.

"Have you told your dad?" Peridot asked me.

"About what?" I replied.

"Me," Peridot answered.

"He knows who you are, Peridot," I said.