Chapter 15: Crazy

I woke up and looked around groggily. Everything was pitch black. I squirmed, only to find that something was restraining me. I grunted in frustration. Suddenly, the lights came on, blinding me. When the whiteness faded, everything was still black except for where I was. A hanging light above me revealed that I was tied to a chair with rope. A sudden flash of pain in my head reminded me how I got there in the first place.

Jasper is involved with this.

Then I growled.

Topaz is involved too.

I squirmed again. No matter how hard I was trying, the ropes weren't budging.

"Lapis, Lapis," a voice said. "Haven't you figured out that it isn't worth trying?"

"Jasper!" I shouted.

Jasper walked into the light with Topaz flanking her.

"Topaz..." I whispered. "How could you?"

"I would never bother to care about a human and her stupid dog," Topaz replied.

"Peridot's not a dog!" I cried.

"Quiet!" Jasper shouted.

I shut my mouth. Topaz did the same.

"I am not here to listen to your little fights. I am here for my own business," Jasper said.

"You're going to kill me..." I whispered.

Jasper squinted at me. "Not quite," she said.

"So, you changed your mind?" I asked. "You're going from killing me to whatever your new plan is?"

"Sort of," Jasper answered.

"What kind of person goes from killing to 'sort of' killing?" I asked.

"Just me," Jasper replied.

"Geez," I said. "I would have never assumed that you were that insane, even under the trench coat."

"Oh, Lapis," Jasper said. "I'm not insane. I'm just crazy. And you know what crazy people are?"

"Mental?"

"No! We're genius!"

Jasper sped towards my chair and spun it around, then held it so it was leaning on her torso. I maintained a very terrified expression. Topaz danced over to Jasper. I looked at Jasper, and she looked back at me with a grin. She took a deep breath, and began a riddle of an explanation.

She said at night in my dreams

You dance on a tightrope of weird

Oh, but when I wake up you're so normal that you just disappear

Jasper spun the chair across the room, making me very, very dizzy.

You're so straight like commuters with briefcases towing the line

There's no residue of a torturer inside of your eyes

The chair fell over backwards, leaving me to glare at Jasper's red eyes.

She said you're just like Mike Love, but you wanna be Brian Wilson, Brian Wilson

She said you're just like Mike Love, but you'll never be Brian Wilson

Suddenly, the chair was picked up again and spun across the room.

And I said

If crazy equals genius