Chapter 18: On Guard

Thunder boomed, clearly close by. I sighed.

More bad weather.

Peridot had seen some vampires by the beach, and she had been completely focused on finding them and getting rid of them. It bothered me. She wasn't spending any time with me all because she was so worried about the vampires that were now beginning to show up. Every time I tried to get her attention, she ignored me. Then she glanced at a window, hissing at some seemingly invisible vampire. I had grown tired of the entire situation. At this point, being a vampire was an alternative I could accept.

At least that would get her attention.

I growled. There was another explosion from outside, along with the sudden downpour of rain.

"It's perfect weather for vampires," Peridot had said to me earlier in an attempt to reason with me. "Vampires can be really, really loud sometimes, and it sounds like thunder."

I remember rolling my eyes in response. At that moment, Peridot had looked at the window and made eye contact with one of the red-eyed creatures. Before I could say anything, she had blasted to the window and was hissing at our enemy. It was in that moment that I knew she was right. It wasn't all over. They were coming back for real.

I brought my knees to my chest and hugged them. I couldn't help but to glance at the window in loneliness.

"It's okay," Zircon said as she sat down next to me. "Peridot is just trying to help. I understand that you want her spend time with you, and I don't doubt that she wants that too, but she can't right now. She has to protect you."

"That's what she said," I growled.

Zircon looked at me, obviously offended. "You should be grateful!" She cried.

"She even ignores me when I try to speak to her! Try being in my shoes!" I shouted. I took a deep breath in, and then I exhaled. "I mean, I understand that she's trying to protect me, but that doesn't mean that she has to ignore me," I finally said. "She knows that I can handle it, and yet, she keeps ignoring me!" I sniffled and wiped my nose with my arm. "She acts like she can't even see me, and I hate it."

Zircon stared at me and considered my point of view. "I see," she said. "Perhaps you should let the situation blow over. I'm sure she very much wants to spend time with you. Trust me, I know her. She's just very worried about you." She snickered. "She's always worried about you. Sometimes she gets anxious when she's away from you for a few minutes, and we have to convince her that you're fine."

"Really?" I asked.

"Really," Zircon replied. "You should see her."

I smiled. "So, she's just worried?" I asked.

"Basically," Zircon answered.

"I still wish she would talk to me." I sighed.

"I know," Zircon responded.

We sat in silence and listened to Peridot zip around the house to scare off other vampires. I groaned and rested my head on my knees. I didn't care about the nagging feeling I was getting that Zircon was watching me.

"Hey," I heard Zircon say.

"Hi," a familiar voice responded.

I looked up and glanced at the door. Peridot was leaning up against the doorframe, worry marking her face. She looked over at me and smiled. Instead of smiling back, I looked away. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw her frown.

"I think I should get back to what I was doing," I heard her say to Zircon.

"No!" Zircon cried. "Stay here with Lapis. I'll take over."