Chapter 13: Cold

I pushed Peridot's hair away from her face and kissed her forehead.

"I'll miss you," I whispered.

Topaz walked into the room. "Come on, human," she said. "There's no time for kisses and hugs. Especially for a stupid dog."

"She's not a dog!" I shouted. "And I have a name!"

"I know, I just don't care," Topaz growled.

I sighed. "I'm not going to see her for a bit. I just want to say goodbye."

"We don't have time for that. When the sun comes out, they'll all come out," Topaz replied.

"...fine," I responded.

Topaz and I walked into the living room and towards the front door. Topaz knelt down and let me climb onto her back. Then she picked me up and ran outside. I looked back at the house as it quickly got smaller and smaller. I reached towards it.

"Peridot..." I whispered.

Topaz continued to dash through the beach and into the forest. The trees flew past us, and soon, they were gone.

"How much longer?" I asked.

"Don't care," Topaz replied.

I growled. "Why must you be so inconsiderate?" I asked.

"Why must you be so annoying?" Topaz retorted.

"Whatever. I just want to see Peridot."

Topaz looked around, then she suddenly skidded to a stop.

"A hiker," she said. "I can get a meal so I don't accidentally end up drinking your blood," she said.

"You're going to kill a human?!" I asked.

"Tell Peridot, and I'll drink your blood on purpose," Topaz growled at me.

She put me down and ran off. I stayed silent while I listened to the murder of the innocent hiker by a hungry vampire.

Why do I have to be so powerless? I have to be afraid of her just because I'm human.

I sighed.

They're so lucky.

Topaz came back, licking her lips. Her tongue was red with blood.

"Gross," I said.

"Get on my back, and no tattletaling," she replied.

I clenched my fists and growled. Before I could even take a step, Topaz swiftly picked me up and began to run again. I instinctively wrapped my arms around her neck. I brushed her long red-orange hair away from my face.

"How much longer?" I asked.

"Not too much longer," Topaz answered. "So stop asking."

I looked away. I watched as we began to head uphill, and the temperature began to drop. Topaz didn't tire out at all. Soon, we had reached the top of the hill, and it was much colder than I expected it to be.

"Wh-why is it so cold up here?" I asked as Topaz set me down on the grass.

"Easy," Topaz replied. "This hill is kind of high up, and it's nearly winter."

I sat down and tried to trap any heat I could. Topaz watched the plains below us, not even bothering to look back at me. As the time passed, I became colder, and I began to shiver. Topaz still didn't bother to do anything.

"There's the dog," she said.

"P-P-Peridot?!" I cried.

Topaz nodded. Very soon after, Peridot was on top of the hill with a bag draped over her shoulder.