Chapter 17: Best

I sighed in satisfaction as Peridot wrapped a blanket around us. She turned on the television and stared at it, uninterested. I smiled, closed my eyes, and laid my head on her warm chest.

"Don't fall asleep," Peridot said. "You're the only interesting thing here."

I giggled. "I won't."

Peridot kissed my head and continued to stare uninterestedly at the television. I kept my head on her chest with my eyes closed, cherishing her warm embrace.

"Lapis," a faint voice said. "Lapis!"

"Huh?!" My eyes shot open.

"You said you wouldn't fall asleep!" Peridot cried.

"I-I didn't mean to!" I replied. "I couldn't help it..."

"It's fine." She smiled at me.

I made myself comfortable again and closed my eyes. This time, Peridot let me fall asleep.

[Art by me]

[Art by me]

I woke up, my head still laid on Peridot's chest.

"How long have we been here?" I asked.

"I have no idea how she does it, but Peridot has been sitting there with you for three hours," Yellow answered me.

"Three hours?!" I looked up at Peridot, and she didn't look back at me. Instead, she just kissed my forehead without even glancing at me. "Peridot?"

She didn't respond. In attempt to get her attention, I huffed, but she continued to watch the television with cloudy eyes.

"Is something wrong?" I asked.

She still didn't look at me, and she didn't do anything else other than pushing my head back onto her chest. I growled as I tried to push myself away from her, but she wasn't allowing me to do that.

"Peridot!" I shouted. "Stop!"

"Peridot!" Yellow yelled from the kitchen.

I watched as Peridot shut her eyes and growled. I wrapped my arms around her neck and kissed her cheek, hoping I could calm her down. She sighed quietly and wrapped her arms around me.

"Are you alright?" I asked.

"I'm just a bit worked up," Peridot said quietly enough so only I could hear. "Nothing serious."

"Tell me," I replied.

"I'll tell you in my room," she said.

"Okay," I responded.

Peridot picked me up and sped up the stairs. When we got into her room, she walked to her bed and dropped me on it. I grunted upon impact.

"Hey!" I cried.