Chapter 43

Chapter 43

Song Themes For This Chapter: Beside You – Marianas Trench; Right Where You Want Me – Jesse McCartney; Lock Me Up – The Cab

Rose

I let my eyes slowly open as I feel Louis’ motorcycle come to a halt.  This ride was actually more enjoyable, the wind was still crazy but I was able to cuddle up against Louis’ back and shield myself from it.  I wasn’t sure if Louis had started to drive a little slower or if I was just getting used to his speed on the motorcycle.

Louis quickly climbs off and flips up the kickstand.  I swing my legs over to the side of the motorcycle; I’m about to drop my feet to the ground when I’m hit with a wave of fatigue that makes my head feel light.

“Hey.  Hey.  You alright?”  Louis’ soft voice registers as I feel him cup my arm and wrap his other hand around my waist.  He gently guides me onto my feet.

“Just a little tired all of a sudden.”  I say with a small laugh.

He smiles.  “We won’t be here long.”

As he leads me away from the motorcycle I look up to see… tombstones, lots of tombstones.

“A cemetery?  Louis!  I’m not dressed for a cemetery!”  I let out a nervous laugh as I try to hold the hoodie closed with my free hand.

Louis half turns to look at me and smirks without saying a word.  He leads me into the cemetery and we walk in a weird pattern around some of the tombstones before Louis finally comes to a stop.  He releases my hand as he takes a few steps forward and my eyes fall to the tombstone we’re standing in front of.

The name on the tombstone read, “Jacqueline Tomlinson”.

“Louis,” I pipe up.  “Is this your aunt?”

There’s silence for a moment as Louis keeps his back to me.

“I called her Aunt Jackie.”  He murmurs.  “I found out where she was buried after the funeral and came here later that night by myself.”

I can’t see his expression with his back facing me like this but I stay where I am and listen intently.

“I kicked her tombstone.”

My jaw drops as I instinctively blurt out, “Louis!”

“I was angry.”  He continues, appearing nonchalant.  “So angry…  I felt like she abandoned me.  The only person that ever truly cared about me and liked having me around, left me… I didn’t quite understand it at the time and I was just so mad and I blamed her.”

My heart sinks as I hear his voice crack.  I slowly walk up to him and lace my fingers into his.  I cover our hands with my free hand and look up to see his expression is grim.

“You didn’t mean to, Louis.  You were upset and grieving.”  I assure him.

A sad smile forms on his lips as he looks down.  “Doesn’t matter.  I was such an ass about it and I blamed her, she didn’t deserve that especially after all she’s done for me.”

I wrap my arms around his arm and lean my head against his shoulder.  I wished I could take away his guilt; my heart yearned for him.  I couldn’t stand knowing the pain and guilt he was in from this and how he’s withheld it for so many years.

“She forgives you.  I know she does.”  I say softly.

I expect him to scold me for being “too mushy” or something along those lines but instead he leans his head against mine and whispers, “I hope so.”