Before Nibelhiem 6

She looked behind her and rolled her eyes. "If you're coming anyway, you could at least talk to me."

Cloud stopped about 10 yards back and shuffled his feet awkwardly. He had been aiming for stealth but it had never been his forte.

Tifa looked down at the map that she been working on then pulled out another sheet of paper and took a few notes as Cloud walked up. "What are you doing?" He asked.

She shrugged showing him the paper. "I'm taking notes."

The blonde was puzzled. "On what?"

"Anything that might be useful. Helpful or dangerous plants, landmarks, monster..." She explained. "With Shinra being in town more and more because of the reactor, I thought maybe I could make some extra Gil for my dad but... he's not fond of the idea."

"Is that why you snuck out of town without telling anyone?" Cloud asked.

She sighed. "We've been to and from the mountain since I was a kid. I know how to navigate it. He just... doesn't trust me."

Cloud kept silent but nodded understandingly.

"Anyway, let's keep moving." She ushered them on.

They walked for a few minutes without an exchange before Cloud surprised Tifa by breaking the stillness. "You know, Tifa, it is pretty dangerous."

Her eyes widened and she waved her hand. "Shhh." She hushed.

"Sorry," Cloud apologized. He knew she wouldn't approve of him siding with her father.

Then she turned with a finger over her lips and pulled him into a duck. The two stayed low as she led him next to a large boulder. She peered around it then quickly withdrew her head.

"Monsters." She breathed pointing past their shelter.

The two waited for several long seconds, Tifa squeezing her eyes closed in a silent prayer while Cloud fought the urge to look. Eventually they both risked a glimpse over the rock and watched as the monsters disappeared behind a crag.

Tifa sighed and relaxed a little, not realizing she'd been holding her breath. "Every year there are more monsters." She commented but froze upon hearing a growling behind her.

Neither of them were surprised when they turned and saw one of the wolf-like monsters baring its teeth and stalking towards them.

"Cloud go!" Tifa yelled taking a fighting stance. No way would she let him get attacked when it was her fault they were out here.

The creature barked and pounced at her, claws extending hungrily. However, before they could connect Cloud had inserted himself between the monster and its target, taking the full swipe of the claws across his chest

He gasped with the pain and fell to the ground gripping his injury. He couldn't stop the tears welling in his eyes or the shaking of his hands as his body began reacting the trauma.

"CLOUD!" Tifa screamed, staring momentarily at the generous amounts of blood flowing from her friend's chest before the wolf's throat rumbled and she readied for the next assault hands quivering in fear and anticipation.

It studied her, heckles flaring as it circled. Cloud moaned between them and then his hands relaxed as he fell unconscious.

Tifa felt a surge of energy and cried ferociously throwing a wild kick at the beast's ribs. She didn't fully connect but skimmed its front leg as it retreated a step. "Get away!" She tried to scare it off but it leaped at her again. She closed her eyes and tried to protect herself with her arms but the blow never came. Instead the creature whimpered and went silent.

When Tifa opened her eyes a tall, well built man with fading hair pulled into a low pony and a long cape was kneeling in front of her. He pulled a knife from the dead creature's head and stood wiping his brow.

"Young lady, are you alright?" He asked placing a hand on her shoulder.

Tears filled her vision and she dropped to the ground. "Cloud... " Was all she could manage as his motionless form laid on the ground in front of her.

"Don't worry." The man stooped next to her and pulled a small flask from a pouch on his belt. "He should pull through." Uncapping it, the man poured the liquid on the boy's still bleeding wound. As the blood mixed with the strange fluid Cloud seemed to breathe a sigh.

"What is that?" Tifa asked in awe.

The man smiled through his facial hair, recapping the flask. "It's a potion. You should always carry one while traveling. Here." He handed over the substance.

Tifa took it dumbfounded.

"Let's get your friend back home. Nibelhiem, yes?" He asked.

Tifa just nodded still trying to process what was happening. "Who are you?" She finally found the words.

The man picked up the unconscious Cloud, replying. "My name is Zangan."