Third Escape Attempt

Ava leaped off the platform, and straight through the windy air towards Peter. Her heart was racing. But she was ready to get out of there TODAY! But she only had one chance.

It was Howard that opened the door.   She skillfully kept her sights on Peter. His eyes were hopeful and he smiled as Ava neared him.

(SIKES!!)

He didn't expect Ava to bolt towards the opening door. Everyone was in commotion as they feared loosing their valuable specimen. Howard realized too late as he closed the door quickly behind him. But he wasn't quick enough for Ava.

Howard's eyes were wide as Ava made contact for a split second in passing. She grinned at him for the first time,  feeling the excitement of her escape.

Barely making it through the closing door she continued to flying high down the hall, turning down every which way. Shortly after, a piercing alarm rang and red lights flashed. Tynon slipped as Ava instinctively covered her ears. Realizing that Tynon was slipping, she tried to catch him. The only way to help Tynon was to descend to the floor.

Tynon strength and movement began to return, but he was still not able to walk on his own. "You need to get up!" Ava demanded as she tried to lift him.

"Ava, Go! I'll be alright— "No!" Ava, silenced him. "We are Avian's, we are in this together!" His expression changed, and he forced himself up onto his knees.

"The vents!" He motioned.

A small vent near the floor was large enough for them to squeeze through. Ava felt and heard the sound of humans making their way down the hall! "Lets GO!" Tynon ordered.

Ava reached for his hand, pulling him up onto his feet. They both made their way to the vent. Helping him inside, Ava tucked her wings in close to her body and pulled herself through the opening.

They both paused in silence as heavy human feet thumped passed the small vent. They were frantic!

"Don't let them escape!"   Howard demanded angrily at his guards.

"AVA!" She heard Peter call.  He sounded genuinely worried. The voices of the guards mixed as they continued to pursued them.  Ava held her breath as they moved passed the vent. She was relieved that they didn't think to check their hiding place. 

The vent tunnels stretched far and some took different paths. They had no idea which path to take. Tynon scuffled along with Ava for support. 

Passing another intersecting vent, Ava stopped suddenly.

"Come Ava! we cant stop." Tynon whispered hastily as he breathed heavily. But Ava didn't pay him any attention.  She just looked back at the vents opening, walking backwards and leaving Tynon in his tracks. 

"What are you doing!?" He asked as she slowly walked backed to the vents opening, and peering into the room outside. 

"Jordan!"