Chapter 12

Katherine watched the town house come into view as the long and torturous journey finally ended. The carriage ride had been extremely quiet, and she'd had altogether too long with her thoughts, and if possible she was feelings even worse now than she had before.

She thought of Caroline's face in the morning, and felt another surge of tears threaten. She had betrayed a sister, and she was only now truly realising what it meant.

She thought back to their departure from the Mikaelson's estate. Lord Mikael was very pleased the the outcome, and had been quite jolly as they left, with plans to begin wedding preparations immediately from London. Kol had been kind, and she saw that he too wrestled with their actions of the previous night. Elijah had come to see them depart, ever the gentleman, however, his eyes had been distant, and his mouth quirked in distaste as he had bid her goodbye. That was also responsible for her tears, however, she knew it was but a small consequence of her actions, and hardly mattered.

The carriage halted and the party alighted, moving slowly into the house, each worn down by their various worries. Isobel still lamenting the fact that Elena would not have a title, John feeling as though he had made a deal with the devil. Inside, the footmen and servants took care of their bags, and Katherine felt truly exhausted. As she turned toward the stairs, one of the footmen spoke.

"Sir, there is a caller, waiting in the drawing room." John looked in surprise at his wife and daughter, and removed his hand and gloves, went in the direction of the drawing room. Upon entering, he was perplexed to see Niklaus Mikaelson, the very object if his strife and worry standing by the fire.

"Mr Pierce" Klaus said, inclining a small degree toward the man who would be like a father in law to him. He could see his surprise.

"Lord Mikaelson. To what do we owe this unexpected pleasure?" John asked

"I have come to ensure that the condition of your blessing is met, to your satisfaction." he said.

"I see. Well, I have only just arrived home. I have not had the chance to speak with Miss Caroline yet." John said, feeling the impatience of the man before him.

"Of course, I quite understand. I am willing to wait. No one need attend me." Klaus said as he sat down in a chair before the fire, and returned to his silent study of the flames. Feeling slightly as though he had just been dismissed from his own drawing room, John left and made straight for his study. Isobel followed.

"Well, why is he here?" she asked curiously.

"He has come, because he is set on receiving my blessing today, and therefore finalising our agreement as soon as possible." John said shortly, settling behind the desk, feeling every one of the miles they had covered today weigh down on him.

"My dear, if she is not otherwise engaged, please send Caroline to me" he said, and saw the stiffening in Isobel. She nodded and turned toward the door.

"Mrs Pierce – be gentle with her. Try to imagine the fear and pain she must have felt through this experience. A title is not an accolade for her, and I fear she has lost a lot these past days. Be kind... you are the only mother she has left." he said as Isobel paused on the doorstep, then disappeared out the room.

.

.

.

.

.

.

Caroline watched the carriage draw up and the Pierces emerge from her window. She knew that Klaus would speak to John immediately and he would ask to see her. The time had come to make her choice, though there really wasn't any choice to make.