a thousand smiles

"I'm in love with you," he whispered, staring at her from across her nightstand with his borrowing bag hiked up on one shoulder.
     Emily smiled slightly and watched him, the lit candle beside her alarm clock illuminating the pink tint to her cheeks.
     "Goodnight, Elowen," She whispered, curling up smaller beneath the sheets.
     "Goodnight."
     "See you in the morning?"
     "Maybe."
     She watched the tiny shadow of a figure on her nightstand abruptly stop at the edge of the table before turning towards her one last time.
     "This doesn't mean you get to hold me yet."
     "Yet?"
     She tilted her head, hesitantly holding her slender hand out towards him.
     She watched the tiny boy hesitantly inch towards her outstretched hand before grasping onto her thumb. She felt his toothpick-like arms snake around her thumb and forefinger before he let go and darted away.
     She watched him disappear into the shadows of her bedroom, most likely taking the route behind her dresser to the mouse hole that she had never been able to find by herself.
     Emily didn't see him again for the rest of her time living in that house.
     But she would never forget his wide, apple-green eyes.
     She would never forgot the tiny boy with a thousand bright smiles, each one reserved just for her.