reassurance

Benjamin crumpled to the floor in a heap, drawing his knees to his chest and folding his arms over top of them to hide his face in. If he stayed curled up like this, maybe he wouldn't have to face his math exam next week.
     He felt the familiar flutter of anxiety deep in the pit of his stomach, a knot of worry he'd been working around for weeks now. No matter how long he sat and studied his notes, his mind simply couldn't grasp a single concept.
     He'd been putting it off for so long that he now only had a weekend to cram. He'd felt no motivation for weeks now, and suddenly the deadline was upon him. He would have to take the exam on Monday, and the results would decide what classes he would take next year.
     His brain began to buzz and he grasped his papers with shaky hands, turning them over and reading over his messy scrawl before tossing them aside with a groan. He felt sick to his stomach when he looked at the numbers and the formulas. They'd blur and get jumbled up into a mass of nonsense he couldn't wrap his head around.
     And that's when a panic attack finally struck, the aftermath of weeks of studying and not understanding and failing the class all crashing down on him at once, along with the realization that he most likely wouldn't come close to passing the exam on Monday.
     Benjamin pushed himself back against the edge of the wall, lacing his fingers through his short copper-red hair and tugging on the roots, hot tears streaming down his cheeks. He wanted nothing more than to disappear.
     Perhaps if he pressed himself to the wall hard enough, he'd sink into it.
     He glanced up at the familiar 'click' of the human-sized door across the room, knowing that his roommate had just gotten back from a lecture, more than likely.
     Samantha looked up, tying her hair back in a messy knot on the back of her head when she met his familiar tear-filled gaze.
      She stepped forward and crossed the room until the space between them had been filled, her expression softening as she spotted the ripped up note cards scattered across the floor around him like fallen snow, a look of realization crossing her face as the giant boy buried his face in his arms and cried softly.
     The human girl took to clambering up atop his thigh, grasping the blue material of his jeans until she'd pulled herself up into a posistion against his abdomen, lifting her arms to lean into him, offering comfort.
     Benjamin felt the small, familiar weight against his leg and peered down at the tiny girl for a moment before cupping his hands around her and lifting her to hold against his chest.
     Samantha pressed her ear against the soft, faded fabric of his shirt to listen to the rhythmic thumping of the giant's heart, a calming sound that had lulled her to sleep on more than one occasion.
     And with steady hands and a soft voice, the tiny girl grasped onto his finger and began to console her giant friend until he'd started to regain his cool.
     Samantha spoke in her familiar soft-spoken tone, smiling faintly as she peered up to meet the boy's teary blue eyes.
     "Everything will be okay."