just married

"He's like, really fucking cute," I say. My cheeks are burning. "I could show you a picture, if you want."
     The tiny mermaid gives an overly enthusiastic nod, propping her arms up on top of the shore. She looks up at me with eager eyes as I scroll through pictures on my phone. I find one, an old group photo with my friends. I zoom in on Spencer's face and turn to show it to her.
     She squints up at the screen before her eyes light up.
     "I really, really like him," I say, and she nods. A strange look flits over her face and she furrows her brows before turning around and disappearing beneath the water, long scaly tail lashing behind her. I lean over the edge of the tide pool and peer down into it, but all I see is a glint of green scales before the darkness swallows her up.
     When she resurfaces, she's clutching something shiny and silver in her hand.
     I lean in a little to get a closer look. It's a soda can tab.
     She motions for me to lower my hand down beside her, so I do.
     She slides the silver tab around my finger like a ring and pats my knuckle, grinning up at me.
     "For me?" I raise an eyebrow.
     She shakes her head. My cheeks burn a little.
     "For Spencer?"
     She gives another cheery nod and claps her hands together, looking proud of herself.
     I slip the tab into my pocket and smile weakly.
     "Uh, thanks."
                                        ~~~
"You won't believe this, Spence," I say, dragging him across the beach by the wrist. He smiles a little and rolls his eyes.
     "You're right, I don't believe it," he mumbles, keeping his broken arm close to him. He's had that cast for weeks now.
     We walk along the shore for a while longer. It's low tide now. We walk until I spot the tide pool up ahead, and then I'm dragging him along again. I feel like I'm floating whenever he laughs, and I try not to stare at his face for too long. The low light makes his eyes sparkle a little and it's hard for me to look anywhere else but at his face.
     Of course he's distracted, watching the waves lap at his feet or stopping to look at whatever shells wash up on the shore. I drag him along a little farther before I stop at the tide pool. I kneel down at the water's edge and pull him down beside me. He lands on his knees with an oof.
     I peer down into the water, waiting for a familiar blonde head to pop out from below the surface. I try to avoid his gaze, mostly because he's looking at me like I'm crazy but also because I can't stop thinking about kissing him.
     "Your little fish friend isn't coming," he says, absently turning a small shell over in his palm.
     "Shut up," I mumble. "She'll come."
     When the tiny mermaid finally pokes her head out of the water, her eyes immediately flit up to mine. I smile and nod to Spencer, who's staring down at her with his mouth hanging open.
     When she looks up at him, realization washes over her face. She's grinning now, pointing up at him and looking to me excitedly.
Then she makes a kissing sound with her lips and my heart drops.
     But Spencer's just laughing. He grabs my hand and shakes it. My eyes flit up to his and he grins.
     "Oh my god, she's literally the cutest thing I've ever seen," he says, dropping my hand to inch a little closer to the tide pool. She waves up at him and he waves back with that stupid grin on his face.
     That look passes over her face again before she disappears into the water. I already know what's coming and I scoot away from the edge of the tide pool, burying my face in my hands. Spencer's peering down into the water curiously.
     When she comes back up, she's clutching two more damn soda tabs in her hands. She motions for both of us to stick our hands out.
     This is not happening.
     Spencer holds out his hand with a grin, laughing softly as she slides the tab over his finger. I reluctantly stick my hand out to her as well, hiding my face in my knees as she puts one on my finger as well.
     When I finally lift my head, she's beaming up at the both of us, looking extremely proud of herself. She flashes me a thumbs-up.
     Spencer is cracking up. He takes my hand, the one with the ring on it, and taps his finger against mine.
     "Just married." He smirks.
     "I hate you."