2

—DANIEL 2 years later
My alarm went off, and as soon as I opened my eyes, my heart dropped. Jonah wasn't laying next to me. I know it's pathetic, but the first thing Jonah does when he wakes up is kiss me good morning. Since he wasn't there, and he left me to sleep, I knew something was wrong.

The clock read 8:00 am. It was time for me to get ready for work and wake up Yara so we could take her to daycare. I got out of bed and ignored the fact that I didn't even wash my face. I went straight next door, to our four year old daughter's room.

I entered quietly, and the sight that was displayed in front of me made my heart swell. Jonah was asleep in Yara's pink bed, as she lay on his chest.

I tip toed over to them quietly, and leaned down by the edge of the bed. "Jonah," I whispered, brushing his hair with my fingers. "Baby, wake up." Jonah fluttered his eyes open, and looked at me in confusion.

"Hey," I smiled. "Is everything okay?" He usually doesn't sleep in Yara's bed unless she has a nightmare. He looked down at our daughter and pressed his hand against her forehead. "She woke me up in the middle of the night and asked me to come lay with her."

A rush of worry immediately washed over me as I checked her temperature too. "She has a fever." My heart broke instantly. As a parent, the toughest thing you can go through is seeing your child sick and helpless.

"I'm gonna call in to work, I'm staying with her." I told Jonah. "Babe, you go, I'll stay." He replied. "No, there's no point. I won't be able to focus knowing that she's sick."

"I'll be right back." I kissed Jonah's forehead and left her room. I quickly made some calls to work and my mother before I returned. "My dad's friend is a doctor, he's willing to do a house call for us."

"Okay, great." Jonah gently got Yara off him and set her down on her pillow. "I have to call in to work too. Try waking her up so we can feed her." I nodded at him quickly.

But before Jonah walked out, he came to me. "Hey, calm down." He said softly as he held the sides of my face. "She's going to be okay." I let out a deep breath. Jonah gave me a soft kiss, which helped calm me.

I went over to our daughter and ran my fingers through her wavy, brunette hair. "Hey baby," I cooed. Yara made an incoherent sound as she slowly opened her big blue eyes. "Morning." She mumbled, the word not coming out correctly.

"How are you feeling?" I asked her softly. She blinked, still not completely awake. "My tummy hurts, daddy." She pouted. "Aww you poor thing." I pulled her into my chest.

"Right now papa is gonna make you breakfast and after we have a doctor coming to make sure you're okay." I told her. "Now, how about we get up and wash your face with some cold water so your temperature can go down."

She nodded at me and I picked her up in my arms. I took her to the washroom, helped her use it and then I washed her face. I left her pyjama's on and took her down stairs.

"Morning papa!" She tried to be her peppy self, but her voice wasn't as energetic. "Hello baby face." Jonah turned his attention from the pancakes to her.

He took her out of my arms and kissed her on the cheek. "Today, daddy and I are gonna stay home with you." He told her sweetly. "Yay!" She clapped her hands. "I don't like it when you go to work and leave me."

Jonah and I exchanged a look. When we first adopted Yara, she was almost three. We took a few months off work and stayed with her until she got used to living with us. And until she was old enough for daycare, we used to leave her with my mother while we worked.

We always worried about her. She was different than all the other kids, and sometimes, I think she notices. She was adopted and she had two dads. But at least she sort of looked like us, with her big blue eyes and light brown hair.

"We're sorry about that baby." I spoke up. "But papa and I have to work so we can provide for you." She nodded, even though I know she doesn't understand what I mean quite yet.

Jonah and I fed Yara, and put her back in bed until the doctor came. He checked her symptoms and told us that she had the stomach flu. He warned us about her vomiting and surely, minutes after he left, she did.

We gave her fluids, medicine and stayed with her until she fell asleep. Jonah motioned for me to get up, and we did. We turned off the light, but left the door open so we could hear her if she called for us.

"Its all that filthy daycare's fault! Who knows what she can catch next?" I said angrily. Jonah grabbed my hand and sat me down on our bed. "Daniel, please calm down. She's a kid, she touches a lot of things that are crawling with germs. We couldn't have prevented it, so stop blaming yourself."

I sighed. "I know, but—" Jonah shook his head at me. "No buts. She's okay, and we should be thankful for that. She'll be better in no time." I nodded at him after giving up on my argument.

"Now come here, let me change your mood." Jonah pulled me closer and connected our lips. In the back of my mind, I was still overtaken by Yara's illness. But nonetheless, I kissed back passionately.

Jonah went to take off my shirt, but I stopped him. "I'm not in the mood." I shook my head and pulled away. "I know we haven't in a while because of work, but now Yara's sick—" Jonah placed his lips on mine to shush me. "It's okay, we can just cuddle."

Can we just imagine a little Donah baby running around irl? I would die.

-dolanschonce