08

We expect you to welcome them to the Avengers compound they said. It'll be fine they said. All you have to do is shake your old pal Steve's hand and let him and his buddies live in your home. It'll be fine.

It wasn't fine.

Sure it went fine at first. It went fine up until he had to meet the man in question. The man who lied to him about his parents' murder for 2 years. But it was fine. He was fine.

The U.N. decided that it was a good idea to hold a press conference that was live on international television so Tony of course decided to dress out in an Armani suit to remind everyone that he's too expensive for any of them.

He of course had to include his sunglasses in that look because like hell he would let Steve realize his eyes weren't as sharp as they used to be since the super soldier left him to die in a bunker. He would find out soon enough anyways due to the media already knowing that he'd sustained a few injuries that might be life altering.

While backstage he didn't speak to any of the rogue Avengers. Steve held his signature puppy dog eyes as he tried to catch Tony's. Tony chose to look anywhere but near the man. He chose instead to look down at Julien, petting the dog gently on the head.

The media already knew of the service dog by catching photos of the him and the dog two weeks ago. They just don't know what purposes Julien serves him for. They probably all assumed it was solely for his PTSD. The old Avengers didn't spare a second glance at the German Sheperd, probably assuming it belonged to a member of PR or a stage hand.

After Steve walked off with Natasha for some unknown reason, Tony chose to look up from his shoes. Peter, Rhodey, and Vision kept up a tight U shaped fort with their bodies with Tony in the middle.
They only mingled with each other except Sam and Rhodey who seemed to be talking about how the Penguins did at the playoffs. They tried to include Tony but the billionaire shot them down by claiming be didn't watch hockey.

Rhodey had given him a narrowed and knowing glance. He knew Tony hadn't spoken with anyone besides his dog while backstage and even then he had only told Julien to sit down beside him.

It's not that Tony didn't like the rogue Avengers. He just didn't like Steve. He didn't hold their actions against them. Hell, he didn't hold Bucky Barnes' actions against him. The man was brainwashed and was toi confused in Siberia that he doubted Steve told him about the arc reactor. How it powered the whole suit and if it was damaged, he would be trapped to die in the tin can.

Speaking of Bucky Barnes, the ex-assassin was looking at the floor, his eyes narrowed. The man was without a metal arm and looked like he hadn't slept in weeks. Tony frowned a little at the sight and shifted to lean on his right leg, Julien saddled up a little closer to lean further on the billionaire.

Bucky furrowed his eyebrows right after Julien moved, his eyes narrowing yet again. Wait, he wasn't just looking at the floor he was staring at the dog. The long haired soldier held what Tony made out as curiosity in his blue eyes which in turn, made him interested.

Tony instinctively placed his hand over the dog's head and scratched lightly. Julien looked up at Tony just before Bucky did. Tony and Bucky caught eyes as much as one could if one of the duo were wearing sunglasses, and held it for a solid four seconds before a stage hand told them they needed to walk out on stage.

The billionaire took a sharp intake of breath as Steve returned and they walked onto the stage. The roar of reporters was something Tony could never get used to. It was deafening. Now more than it ever did before due to him losing some of his sight. Not only at conferences could he no longer see well but also not hear as well due to a roaring crowd.