Chapter 9: Samuel's Deal

Lorien stared at Lucas as he told her about Dmitri and his deal. She didn’t know what to feel. She didn’t know whether to feel sad or angry or scared. At that moment though, she felt all three. Sad because of what Lucas gave to be with her. Angry because of what she had to give. Scared because of what would happen to her if she did give it. 

“Lucas,” Lorien wanted to tell him how she felt about everything but he spoke before her.

“Lorien, listen to me. Remember when I came back and we sat in the garden, when you asked me if I doubted us, if I doubted our love?” Lorien nodded. “Well this is proof of how I much I do love you. I would give anything, even my soul just to be with you,” Lucas said looking deep into her eyes and holding both her hands.

“Lucas, why? Why would you give your soul like that? You don’t have to give your soul for me to love you,” Lorien said tearfully, holding Lucas tightly. Lucas wrapped his arms around her again and didn’t want to let her go. Lucas suddenly chuckled.

“But think about it, even without a soul, I’m still the same old Lucas right?” he said quietly with a smile. Lorien looked up and kissed him lightly.

“Of course you are,” Lorien said returning his smile. Though, her smile didn’t last long. “But you do know that it means that Dmitri has complete control over you and if you don’t listen to what he says, he could simply send you to hell in an instant,” Lorien said sadly. “I don’t know if I could live with that.”

Lucas sighed and held her face in his hands. “Listen to me Lorien, soul or no soul, I will always love you and I will always be the same Lucas, no matter what. Whether Dmitri has control over me or not, I will still love you and that will never change.” Lucas said staring into her brown eyes.

“What if that changes?” Lorien asked, staring back into his green eyes that were shining even if it was evening.

Lucas sighed, still holding her face in his hands. “Remember what I said about your heart. No matter how much I might change on the outside, I will still be the same on the inside and as long as you still love me, then I will never change,” Lucas whispered and kissed her before he stood up to leave.

Samuel stood hiding behind the pillar listening to Lucas and Lorien, feeling disgusted and betrayed. When Lucas finally left, Samuel swiftly ran for his room. He wanted to tell someone, he needed to tell someone. But who was he going to tell? Who had more authority over the Princess? Samuel thought but his mind couldn’t focus on anything else but the Princess and Lucas.

When Samuel finally got to his room, he opened his door calmly and stepped inside. He looked at himself in the mirror and slapped himself on the forehead.

“Samuel, who do you think you are? Scheming against the Princess. Just let her be and go home. It will be better for you and for her,” Samuel said to himself as he stared in the mirror.

“What are you talking about Samuel?” an icy cold voice said to him. “You can win the Princess over just like that if you tried. That soldier doesn’t stand a chance against you.”

Samuel turned around but saw no one. He looked back at the mirror and saw a blonde-headed man with red eyes staring straight at him. The reflection showed the man standing right behind him but when Samuel turned around, there was no one there. The man was only visible in the mirror.

The strange man chuckled. “You look so funny when you’re paranoid. Oh, excuse me, Dmitri’s the name,” Dmitri stared with his red eyes shining.

Samuel glared at him. “Who or what are you and what do you want?” Samuel said through gritted teeth.

“Well,” Dmitri touched Samuel’s shoulder and, to Samuel’s surprise, he actually felt his cold touch. He turned around and Dmitri was staring him straight in the eye. Dmitri started talking again. “Most people call me a demon but I think that’s an understatement. I consider myself more as a beautiful, handsome, powerful and gloriously almighty underworld creature.”

Samuel glared but said nothing. Dmitri smiled at Samuel coldly and started to speak again with a voice that could make you shiver.

“So Samuel, as I was saying, little Miss Princess Lorien would fall for you just as easily if you actually made an effort. See, that soldier boy is nothing compared to you. You’re handsome, you’re smart, you’re rich and you’re a prince. What more could any girl want? Look at yourself in the mirror Samuel,” Dmitri said, turning Samuel’s body so that he was facing the mirror. The Prince didn’t want to admit it but maybe this demon was right.

“You see what I mean?” Dmitri whispered coldly. Samuel looked at himself with admiration before he suddenly started glaring again.

“What are you doing to me? What is this power? What do you want?” Samuel asked, keeping his eye on the demon in the reflection.

“What is it with you people and asking questions?” Dmitri said, turning away from the mirror. He stared circling the room while Samuel made sure that his eyes were on him the whole time. “Lucas asked questions, the Queen asked questions, you’re asking questions. I expected better of you Samuel. Remember when I said you were smart?” Dmitri said then noticed that Samuel’s stare was icy cold. “Oh, that look. I can’t take that look. It’s even giving me a shiver, and I can’t even shiver,” Dmitri said in a bright way, making fun of Samuel.

“What do you mean the Queen? She knows you?” Samuel growled.

“Ah, smarter than I thought. You’re picking up the pieces now aren’t you? A little correction though, she knew me, for about 5 minutes,” Dmitri turned to glare at Samuel and his eyes were shining, glimmering with coldness. Samuel knew exactly what was going on.

“You killed the Queen?” Samuel growled. Dmitri smiled and started clapping his hands.

“Well done Sammy. See, she didn’t abide by the rules and I hope you don’t make the same mistake. I don’t want you to share the same fate she suffered,” Dmitri paused for a moment and stared at the furious Prince, the anger visible in his grey eyes. “So, obey the rules and no one gets hurt,” Dmitri stared at Samuel again but the Prince was silent.

“Very good, now, you want the Princess, correct?” Dmitri asked Samuel in an evoking tone.

“I want her to be happy, with me or not,” Samuel said softly but harshly. Dmitri slapped him over the head.

“Idiot. Look Samuel, from here on in, it’s no more Mr. Nice Guy. Yes or no question, do you want the Princess?” Dmitri asked, staring even more intently into Samuel’s eyes.

“Yes,” Samuel whispered.

“Good,” Dmitri said and held out both his hands, taking hold of Samuel’s head.

An unbearable pain pulsed through Samuel’s brain and his knees went weak. Dmitri’s gaze didn’t break as the pain flowed through every part of his body. Samuel screamed in agony as his grey eyes started flashing into a deep and dark black. Dmitri finally let go.

Samuel fell to the floor on his hands and knees. His body felt different.

“What have you done to me?” Samuel growled. Dmitri laughed.

“I have made you into one of me. See, this is what will happen. The Princess will fall in love with you and marry you. Once that happens, you will then have the power to take away her gift, her magic that makes her immortal. When you’re done with that, she’s yours,” Dmitri said and disappeared into a puff of silver smoke.

Samuel got up off the floor and he felt different. He felt strong. He looked at himself in the mirror and smiled.

“You’re mine, Princess,” Samuel growled, his cold black eyes flashing with evil.