Chapter 12: Challenge

Lucas made his way home, shaking in anger. This wasn’t normal. Someone was playing around with everyone’s minds and Lucas knew exactly who it was.

Lucas slammed the door to his bedroom and punched a hole in the wall.

“Dmitri!” he yelled furiously. Whatever happened to Samuel and Lorien, he knew that it definitely had something to do with the demon.

“What’s the matter boy?” Dmitri asked, appearing out of nowhere. Lucas glared at him. He pounced on Dmitri and slammed his body against the wall, holding him there and not breaking eye contact with him. His face was red with anger. Though, he was surprised that Dmitri didn’t do anything to retaliate.

“What have you done?!” Lucas growled.

Dmitri smiled his cold smile and his eyes glimmered. “With who, Lorien or Samuel?” Dmitri smiled.

Lucas grabbed Dmitri and slammed him onto the wall even harder. Dmitri laughed. “Look, if you really want to know, Samuel has decided he wants to release his inner self and I helped him do that. I guess the Princess just finds him too irresistible now,” Dmitri laughed. Lucas slammed Dmitri into the wall one last time then let go of him. Lucas sat on the edge of his bed with his head buried in his hands. He breathed in deeply then let all the air go. He looked up at Dmitri who was staring intently at him.

“Why?” Lucas asked. Whatever Dmitri did, there was no way he was going to reverse it that easily.

“I want to make the game a tiny bit more interesting. Lorien still remembers a lot of things. All you have to do is make her remember you and she’ll fall straight back in love with you,” Dmitri said as he went to sit next to Lucas.

“But why?” Lucas said staring at Dmitri.

“Because it’s my job. Look, I give people what they want the most in exchange for a small price. I gave Samuel what he wanted, regardless of the fact that it would interfere with your deal. Now, because I was feeling especially generous, I’ve decided that I’m not going to make it easy for any of you. So, it really all comes down to that usual saying, may the best man win,” Dmitri said smiling coldly at Lucas.

“So let me straighten things out for a minute. You’re saying that I have to make Lorien remember me and its smooth sailing, but what’s the catch for Samuel?” Lucas asked.

Dmitri stood up from the bed and stood in the corner of the room. Lucas knew he was about to leave.

“Samuel is uncontrollable and he has powers that he doesn't know how to use. It could be dangerous for her. But he has to make her fall in love with a demon,” Dmitri said and was close to disappearing but stayed a moment longer. “Oh, his deadline is a year away. You better work fast,” Dmitri said and disappeared in his usual manner, leaving Lucas alone in his room thinking about Lorien.