Ch. 16: Tragedy of the Heart

*Rayan & Briley*

Rayan sits in silence as he thinks of the horrible moment he shared in his life with Sasha. His eyes fill with tears as he begs himself deep inside to not let this emotions take over.

Briley stares at him. She can tell that whatever happened is something serious and that maybe he just needs her to be silent in this moment. “Are you okay?” She asks in a hushed tone.

He sniffles a little and looks over to her as they sit in the still car. “There are things that have happened in my life that I don’t necessarily share with people.” He pauses for a moment as his tears start to run down his face.

Briley nods her head. “Maybe if you talk about it you’ll feel better?” She suggests.

He stares straight ahead. “Talking about it makes it just that more real. I’ve done so well with hiding my emotions and acting like it doesn’t bother me anymore but seeing her brought all of that hurt back.” He confides in her a little.

Briley starts staring at him weirdly. “What happened with her?” She asks him.

He wipes his face. “Our child died. He was a still-born. She didn’t even realize that he had died in her. The doctors said he had been dead for at least 2 weeks before he was born.” Rayan finishes.

Briley’s eyes immediately draw up tears. “I’m so sorry.” She says just above a whisper.

“My baby boy died and there was nothing I could do to save him. What hurts the most is that I left her after that. I was so drained from all of the hurt and pain and I had nothing left for her. All my energy was gone and I just moved away. She needed me Briley and I just disappeared!” He cries out.

At this point Briley is flabbergasted. “I’m sure she understood that you couldn’t handle this. You needed space, and besides you wouldn’t have met me if you hadn’t have left in the first place.” Briley tells him and smiles.

He stares at her strangely. “You are so selfish. How can you really turn this into being about you? This is why I don’t confide in you because you always make things about you! The only space I need right now is space from you!” He tells her and cranks his Avalon up and drives fast to their home.

“Get out!” He yells to her.

She jumps a little. “I didn’t mean to make things worse, I was just trying to show you the bright side of your situation, baby!”

“No, you were trying to get my mind off of Sasha. Get out please!” He tells her as little more calmer.

She swallows hardly. “Where are you gonna go?” She asks him.

He gives her an irritated facial expression. “Don’t worry about me. Worry about yourself, that’s what you’re good at!” He tells her.

“Fuck you Rayan. We were fine until that stupid girl showed her pretty little face and ruined our day! Forget about her, she’s in the past. So is the child you lost! Everything happens for a reason, ya know!” She slams his car door and heads into their home.

He pulls off quickly. He gets to a red light and pulls out his phone. Sasha’s old cell number is in his phone and he’s not sure if that’s a sure way to contact her but he decides to try anyways.

“Hello?” A light familiar voice answers.

“Uh is this Sasha?” Rayan asks.

She giggles a little. “Yes, who is this?”

He hesitates for a moment.

“Are you still there?” She asks as she soaks in the silence.