Ch. 19: One Less Problem

*Craig and Leah*

Craig meets Leah at Friday’s Bar & Grill for lunch.

Leah is sitting there with her throat sitting at the bottom of her stomach. Her nerves are running wild and there’s nothing that can remotely get her ready for Craig’s presumed reaction.

Craig sits at the table with a straight face. “How was work today?” He asks her calmly.

Leah takes a deep breath. “It was okay. I have to go back after I leave here so hopefully time flies.” She says with a slight smile.

Craig nods with a smirk on his face. “It seemed like you had something important to share with me on today . . . so what’s up?” He asks her not beating around the bush.

Leah looks away. “So I’ve been feeling bad lately, ya know?” She starts.

Craig stares at her. “Mhm . . .” He answers.

Leah sighs loudly. “I’ve been nauseous, stomach feeling funny and stuff like that.” She says trying to avoid just spitting out the news.

Craig becomes annoyed at her. “If you’re trying to tell me that you’re pregnant I already know!” He cuts to the chase.

Her eyes widen. She stares at him in silence.

“Nothing to say? Cat got your tongue?” He asks her in sarcasm.

She tries to speak but she can’t find the words to say.

Craig laughs. “So how long have you known?” He asks her.

“Not long. I had an idea since I was really sick but I wasn’t for sure.” She tells him just above a whisper.

Craig’s expression starts to change. “You would think that being pregnant would make you burst with happiness but you seem quite the opposite.” He tells her.

Tears fill her eyes. “I’m happy. See these are happy tears.” She lies.

He raises an eyebrow. “You’re a bad liar. What’s the problem?” He asks her even though he knows the answer.

She wipes her tears. “Nothing, babe.” She says trying to convince him.

He hits the table from anger. “Stop lying, Leah. You slept with Cass didn’t you?” He asks her.

Leah jumps from the bang. She gets up from the table and walks outside.

The guests in the restaurant all stare at Craig as he follows her.

“I’m sorry for getting so mad. I just have to know did you sleep with him?” He asks her again.

She nods her head. “I wasn’t planning on you changing and us being back together and happy. I’m sorry, Craig.” She admits.

Craig is taken aback. “You’ll always be mine whether we’re together or not. How could you sleep with someone just after a week or so of us being broken up? You know how hoeish that seems?” He asks.

She stares at him furious. “So now I’m a hoe? I wouldn’t have had to run to another man if you had have been doing what you were supposed to do to keep me!” She yells at him.

He slaps her face out of reflex. He quickly feels remorse for it. “I didn’t mean to, kitten . . .you just made me so mad!” He says as he grabs her face and caresses it.

She pushes his hands away from her. “That’s the last time you hit me again. We are done! I’ll know tomorrow whose baby it is depending on how far along I am. You can get a paternity test if you want I don’t care. If it is yours that will be the only reason we need to communicate if it’s not then consider me as your past!” She says.