Chapter 5

I shifted my eyes away from Nik as Alaric made his way across the courtyard. "I suppose I owe you a thanks," Nik spoke up.

"Well, staying the hell out of Virginia is all the thanks I need," Alaric replied, coming to a stop and Nik turned to look at him.

"Well, then perhaps we should forgo a trip down memory lane."

"Look, from one father to another, you're not gonna be able to keep Hope or the twins locked up much longer." I glanced up at Nik before looking at Alaric. "And I'm guessing you know that Caroline and I have built a school. It's a place for kids with supernatural leanings, just like yours. Our two girls are thriving there. They are learning to use their powers for good and to embrace their identities without fear. Hope and the twins will always be welcome there."

Nik let out a sigh, moving closer to Alaric, "give my regards to Mystic Falls." Alaric sent me a small smile, which I returned before he turned and walked away. I let out a sigh as Nik came back over to the bar.

"It's not a terrible idea, Nik. Sending the kids to a school like that. It's not like we can send them to a regular public school, not with all the power they contain." Nik stayed quiet. "You know I'm right. They'll need more guidance than we could give them. Especially the twins. Separately, they're strong, but together, they could be unstoppable. That kind of power needs guidance or it could get out of control."

"Why are you always right?"

"Because I stop and think before acting. And because I think rationally." Nik rolled his eyes, taking a sip of his bourbon.

***

"It was very brave what you did today, saving Daddy like that. But it's also very dangerous."

"Why Mommy?" Finn asked as I pulled their blanket up to cover them.

"Because it's not safe out there for three little witches such as yourselves. There are too many bad people out there," I explained. "And you two need to be extra careful. With all that special magic you guys have, there are people who would want to take it from you."

"Bad people?" Delilah questioned.

"Yes, baby, bad people. Just be careful who you trust."

***

"Now, you can't call yourself a connoisseur if you have not sampled each and every one of these," Nik stated, his eyes moving between Hope, Delilah, and Finn. He had compelled a baker to make a large assortment of pastries, which had been piled high on the table in the courtyard.

"Well, maybe not all of them," I spoke up, sending Nik a look. "Don't want a tummy ache."

"Here." Nik picked up three beignets, placing one on each of the kids' plates for them to try.

"Mm. It's so good," Hope commented, swallowing her bite. I let out a chuckle, wiping powdered sugar from the side of Finn's mouth.

"Did I ever tell you the story of my first beignet?" All three children shook their heads as I picked up a pastry of my own. "No? You are in for a treat." Nik stood from his seat. "Long ago, three French nuns came to New Orleans looking for a fresh start. And they came here. They marched right into our courtyard, and they presented your uncle Elijah and me with these rather lumpy-looking, sugar-coated pastries. Well, needless to say, we were entranced. We set them up quite well."

"Why did they come to you?" Delilah asked.

"Because there was a time when we were regarded as royalty. You might even go as far as to say I was king, which would make you two princesses," Nik revealed, looking between Delilah and Hope. "And Finn a prince."

"Does that make Mommy your queen?" Finn asked.

"Mommy has always been my queen," Nik replied, his eyes flickering up to mine.

"Good morning," a voice called, and I turned my head, seeing Hayley make her way over to us. "I guess apple turnover is fruit," Hayley commented, eyeing the table.

"Oh, believe me, we've already had this conversation," I replied, taking a bite of my own pastry.

"Well, I saw no harm in indulging the kids' sweet tooth. All things in moderation, of course."

"Okay. Well, don't eat too many. You'll get a stomachache," Hayley told Hope, who nodded. She turned her attention to Nik, "can we talk?" Nik glanced at me, his eyebrows furrowing. I stood from my set, moving away from the table. "Have either of you seen Elijah?"

"I thought he was with you," I stated, my eyebrows furrowing.

"I haven't seen him since he left for Marcel's last night."

Hope you guys are enjoying this book so far!

I have loved every minute of writing these books and I have put so much work into all of them, including neglecting homework. If you guys would like to (and I'm not saying you have to), feel free to support the work I've done by donating a few dollars. https://ko-fi.com/themrscevans I would really appreciate it!

My character and her story are of my own imagination. They belong to me and nobody else. Please do not steal. Copyright 2018.