Chapter 21

As soon as I got back to the Salvatore School, I was intercepted by Caroline. "Hey, have you seen Nik?"

"Ellie, we need to talk," Caroline declared, and my eyebrows furrowed. "We should probably go into my office." I nodded, following her.

"Is everything okay?" I questioned, seeing the worried look on her face.

"After you left earlier, Klaus told me what he had planned. Some other stuff happened that helped him reveal his true plan."

"True plan?"

"Klaus wants to take the power out of Hope and put it inside of himself."

"Okay?"

"Once that's done, he's planning on stabbing himself with a white oak stake."

Everything around me seemed to slow down, "what? No, that's not possible. All the white oak was destroyed."

"Apparently he kept some."

"No. No, he wouldn't do that. Not to me, not to his children," I stated, wanting to believe the words I was saying.

"I'm so sorry, Ellie."

"I need to find Nik." Turning away from her, I quickly made my way out of the office.

***

"When were you going to tell me? Or were you planning on killing yourself without talking to me about it or even saying goodbye?" I questioned, coming to a stop in front of Nik. I had found him in an abandoned house in the woods.

"Caroline told you," Nik asserted.

"Of course, she told me! She's my friend! And you're my husband; we're supposed to make decisions together!"

"I didn't want you knowing because I didn't want you stopping me. I still don't."

"Well, that's too bad because I'm not letting you do this," I stated firmly, crossing my arms over my chest. Nik let out a sigh, taking a step toward me and cradling my head in his hands. Before I could move, he turned my head to the side, snapping my neck.

***

I quickly sat up, a groan escaping my lips at the ache in my neck. Realizing what had happened, I let out a growl, getting to my feet. It was dark outside, the moon high in the sky. I could hear a faint chanting, so I followed it, finding Alaric and Caroline's twins doing the spell to siphon the dark magic. Their chanting got louder, a blue ball of light appearing above them. My eyes widened, realizing what that meant. Nik appeared a few seconds later, making his way to the circle the twins had made. I quickly moved to stand in front of him. "Nik, please, don't do this. I can't – I can't lose you. Please," I begged, tears falling from my eyes.

"I have to do this. I have to save her," Nik declared, moving to go around me.

I grabbed onto his arm, stopping him, "Nik, please." He gently pulled his arm from my grip, moving into the circle. I went to follow him in but was stopped by the barrier. The blue ball of light shot into Nik's chest, causing him to cry out and drop to the ground. As Alaric escorted his daughters away, Elijah came to a stop next to me.

"Niklaus," Elijah stated, looking over at his brother. Nik got to his feet, pulling the stake from his jacket. "Don't. Put it down."

"Walk away, Elijah. And take Ellie with you. Neither of you should be here for this," Nik declared, pointing the stake toward his chest.

"Put it down and let's talk."

"There's nothing left to say. It's time to end this chapter, get rid of the dark magic once and for all."

"Dad?" Hope called, and Nik turned. "What's going on here?"

"Get her out of here," Nik ordered.

"Your death is not the answer," Elijah stated.

"Death? What are you talking about?" Realization dawned on Hope's face, "they put it into you. But you told me that they put it into something safe, and instead, you use my first transition to trick me. So, what happens, you just kill yourself and the magic goes away? And you two were gonna let him go through with this?"

"Hope," I started, but Nik cut me off.

"I don't need their permission to save your life!" Nik exclaimed.

"Come back with me to New Orleans, Niklaus. We'll find another way," Elijah suggested.

"We both know that's not gonna happen. I'm sorry, Hope. I've made my decision."

"And I've made mine," Hope announced, raising her hand. Nik fell to the ground, unconscious.

Oh, man. I remember when I first watched this episode. I was so mad that Nik was so willing to give up his life when his daughter had literally just lost her mother. She was going to have no parents and be all alone. What kind of father would do that to his daughter? 

One more chapter and then it will all be over! Sad face.

My character and her story are of my own imagination. They belong to me and nobody else. Please do not steal. Copyright 2018.