Chapter 9

"I sealed these with Hope's blood," Freya announced, passing two knives over; one for me, one for Hayley. "Once the totem is destroyed, we can sacrifice the Hollow." Freya came to a stop as we got to the steps of the LaForge House.

"Are you okay?" I asked, coming to a stop and looking over at her.

Freya hesitated, "yeah. I never thought twice about fighting or dying for family before. But now, with Keelin."

"Now you have someone you're afraid you're not gonna make it home to," Hayley concluded. "You will make it home, Freya."

"We've got your back," I stated, giving her hand a reassuring squeeze. I pulled my knife out of its sheath as we continued up the stairs and into the house. There were bodies everywhere, blood dripping from their eyes and nose.

"I guess she knows we're here," Freya commented, the front door slamming shut behind us.

"Guys, over here," I whispered, eyeing a set of double doors that were ajar. Hayley pushed one of the doors open and a few seconds later, Freya was thrown back, hitting her head on a chair. Before I could move to make my way over to her, I was lifted off my feet and thrown into a shelf full of glass jars. I could feel shards of glass pierce my skin as everything around me started going dark.

***

Slowly opening my eyes, I sat up and looked around. I was in a large clearing with tall trees all around me. Hearing a twig snap, I whirled around, looking for the source. "Hello?" I called, but there was no answer. "Whoever's out there, show yourself!" A figure in white stepped out from behind one of the trees and I instinctively took a step back.

"Please, Elizabeth, do not be afraid," she called, moving away from her hiding spot.

"Don't be afraid? After everything you did to me, you expect me not to be afraid?" I questioned, and my mother shook her head.

"You don't understand. I'm not who you think I am."

My eyebrows furrowed as she slowly moved toward me, "what are you talking about?"

"I know you think I am your mother, but I am not."

"If you're not my mother, then who the hell are you?"

"My name is Iris. I'm your aunt," the woman revealed.

"My aunt? That's not possible. My mother was an only child."

"I'm sure she liked to think so. She was supposed to be my sister, my twin, but she turned her back on me."

"This is insane," I muttered, shaking my head.

"How do you think you were able to have twins? Magic? Your mother had the gene."

"If you're really my aunt, then why weren't you around? Where were you as I was growing up?" I questioned, feeling anger bubble up inside me.

"Maeve never liked me; she always thought I was weak, useless. But even though I wasn't around, I was always there, always watching," Iris began. "I knew the type of person your mother was. I needed to watch over you, make sure you were okay."

"But I wasn't okay! I was so far from okay! Do you have any idea what she did to me? What they both did to me?" My eyes filled with tears.

"Of course, I do," she spoke quietly.

"Then why didn't you do anything?! Why didn't you stop them? My mother used me as a guinea pig! My father burned and beat me! They tortured me, and you just stood by, letting it all happen!"

"I'm sorry. I am so sorry. I wanted to help; I wanted to take you away from there. I really did."

"Then why didn't you?" I asked quietly.

"I wasn't strong enough; my magic wasn't strong enough. I practiced and got stronger, then I went back for you, but it was already too late. You were in transition."

"I was already a vampire," I concluded, and she came to a stop in front of me.

"Yes. But even as a vampire, I continued to keep an eye on you. Even after my own death. How do you think you were able to come back to life as a human after dying as a vampire?"

"You did that?"

"Of course, I did. After everything you went through, you deserved another chance."

"I'm not so sure I did," I muttered, looking down at the ground. Iris grabbed onto my hands, sending me a smile.

"Everyone deserves a second chance, Elizabeth. And now, you're about to get a third." My eyebrows furrowed at her words. "It's time for you to wake up." Iris took a step back, turning away.

"Wait!" I called, and she looked over at me. "Thank you."

"There's no need to thank me, dear. We're family." Iris turned, walking back over to the line of trees. Letting out a breath, I closed my eyes.

Ooh! Mysterious chapter! Long-lost aunt! Ooh!

Things are about to get busy for me with my classes, so I will try to remember to update.

My character and her story are of my own imagination. They belong to me and nobody else. Please do not steal. Copyright 2018.