Chapter 18

"The curse that plagued our family for seven years has taken its toll on all of us," Nik declared, his eyes moving between our faces. "On our city. On our home. On our family. The consequences of us being together were grave, but today, thanks to you," he nodded toward Hope, "we celebrate a new beginning. One in which we have the freedom to stand side by side. And whatever trials may come, we will face them together, as a family. Always and forever."

"Would you please pass the beignets, Momma E?" Hope asked, and I moved the plate, so she could grab one.

"So, Rebekah will be back in a few days. She's just tying up some loose ends overseas."

"It'll be nice to have her here."

"It'll be good to have all of us under one roof again," I remarked, lacing my fingers with Nik's. Elijah came around the corner, appearing in the doorway.

"Good morning," Elijah greeted his eyes on Hope. "Obviously, there is a lot for us to discuss. Hope, let me begin by telling you how truly sorry –," Hope cut him off.

"Thanks for breakfast, guys, but I have some homework to catch up on." Hope stood from her seat, leaving the room. My eyes moved to Hope's fork, which had been bent in half.

"Nik," I muttered, nodding toward it.

"That's not normal. She's not normal," Nik commented.

"She lost her mother, Niklaus," Elijah reminded. "I shouldn't have come down here."

"At least you can claim amnesia, unlike our sister, who willingly aided a child in ruining her life," Nik accused, sending Freya a glare.

"Hope is not a child," Freya countered.

"Did you even consider what absorbing all that magic could do to her?"

"And what choice did I have?"

"Deny her. Defy her. We had a plan to keep the dark magic away from her."

"A plan that wasn't working."

"Yes, well, thanks to you, the magic has her now. So, if my daughter should be harmed in any way, shape, or form, I will hold you personally responsible." Nik stood from his seat, throwing his napkin down and walking off. I let out a sigh, turning my eyes to my plate in front of me.

***

Hearing footsteps in the adjoining room, Nik and I stood from the couch, going to investigate. Hope was searching through the bottles of alcohol on the top shelf. "You're not wearing your bracelet," Nik observed.

"I need, uh, two drams of absinthe," Hope replied, still searching.

"You're fifteen," I stated.

"It's for a spell."

"What kind of spell?"

"The bracelets not working, Dad. It's not enough."

"Well, then we'll find something that does work," Nik avowed. Hope lifted a hand, blowing a powder into Nik's face.

"Hope, what are you –," before I could finish my sentence, Hope had lifted a hand again, snapping my neck.

***

Hearing a commotion coming from Rousseau's, I went in, seeing Hope using magic to hurt Elijah, who was on his knees. "Hope!" I called, and she turned, throwing her hand out. Feeling a sharp pain in my head, I fell to my knees. Hope ran past me and I attempted to get up to follow her, but the pain was too much. Shaking my head, I forced myself up, following Hope back to the compound, "what the hell was that? You won't take help from me or your father, you reject the bracelet, you're throwing Elijah around."

"It stopped the voices," Hope announced, stopping and turning to face me.

"What?"

"Ever since I took the power back, the whispers – I can't think, I can't sleep, I can't even breathe. But right now, it's silent. Is this the rest of my life? A rage that can only be quieted by violence?"

"Hope, if violence is what you need to feel better, then you have the perfect father."

Little bit of a boring chapter.

So, for those of you that live in the United States, and celebrate Thanksgiving: what are your plans? What are your favorite foods to have during Thanksgiving?

My character and her story are of my own imagination. They belong to me and nobody else. Please do not steal. Copyright 2018.