Chapter 10

Opening my eyes, I noticed I was no longer in the clearing with Iris. Instead, I was in a dark room. Nik's room. The blinds were pulled shut, blocking out the sunlight. As I sat up, the bedroom door opened, letting in light. I quickly shielded my eyes and the door was shut. "Sorry, love. I wasn't sure you'd be awake," Nik commented, coming over to the bed and sitting on the edge next to me.

"What happened?" I croaked, my throat dry.

"You died with my blood in your system."

"So, I'm transitioning?" Nik nodded slowly, handing me a glass of blood. I needed to drink it in order to finish transitioning. Taking a deep breath, I chugged it, feeling my eyes change briefly.

"I'm sorry, kitten. I know you wanted to wait until the twins were older."

"Do they know?" I asked, my eyes on the glass.

"Yes. I made sure to tell them."

"I want to see them," I stated, standing from the bed.

"I'm not sure now is a good time." I moved toward the door, but before I could get there, Nik had blocked my path.

"I want to see my children," I repeated firmly, glaring up at him.

"No, you're not in your right mind, Ellie."

"Get out of my way, Nik," I growled. When he didn't move, I went to go around him, but he grabbed onto my arm. I quickly ripped my arm from his grasp, turning and pinning him to the wall. I could feel my eyes and teeth change as I glared up at him. Slowly realizing what I had done, I took a step back, covering my mouth with a hand. "Oh my god, I'm so sorry. I don't – I don't know what came over me."

"It's okay, love. Remember, everything is heightened," Nik reassured, taking a step forward and cupping my face in his hands.

"I don't think I can be around the twins. What if I hurt them?" Tears filled my eyes.

"You're not going to hurt them. You're a wonderful mother and you would never let anything happen to them."

"It's been a thousand years since I've had to deal with this. I'm gonna have to learn how to control it all over again. My emotions, my strength...my hunger."

"You are the strongest woman I know. It'll take some time, but I know you can do it."

"Will you help me?" I asked softly, looking up at Nik.

"Of course, I will."

I fiddled with my daylight ring, having gotten a new one from Freya, as I watched people pass below me on the street

I fiddled with my daylight ring, having gotten a new one from Freya, as I watched people pass below me on the street. "Finn and Delilah have been asking about you," Nik informed, coming to a stop next to me on the balcony. It was a beautiful day; the sun was shining, and the city was full of tourists. I could hear their hearts beating and their blood running through their veins. "They want to see you."

"I'd like to see them, too. I'm just worried that I'll –," I trailed off, not wanting to finish the sentence.

"You won't hurt them. You've already shown great restraint; you have yet to kill anyone." I let out a sigh and Nik wrapped his arms around me from behind. "You can't keep hiding, my love, or you'll never get to see your children."

"I know." Letting out another sigh, I turned in his arms. "Let's go. Let's do this." Nik nodded, grabbing my hand and leading me down the hall to where the children were playing. I hesitated in the doorway as Nik continued into the room.

"There's someone here who wants to see you," I heard Nik whisper, kneeling down next to them. The twins looked over at where I stood, smiles growing on their faces.

"Mommy!" They both yelled, dropping their toys and running toward me. I crouched down, wrapping my arms around them. Hearing their rapidly-beating hearts and their blood pumping in their veins, I felt my eyes change and my teeth elongate. As Nik took a step forward, ready to intervene, I quickly shut my eyes, getting a hold of my hunger.

"Hi, guys," I breathed out. "Mommy's missed you."

Le gasp! Ellie's a vampire again!

My character and her story are of my own imagination. They belong to me and nobody else. Please do not steal. Copyright 2018.