Chapter 14

As soon as I walked into the compound, I could hear Nik yelling. I followed the sound of his voice, my eyebrows furrowing. "What the hell is going on?" I interrupted, coming to a stop in the doorway.

"Hope is behind Hayley's disappearance," Nik affirmed, and my eyes widened as I looked over at Hope. "Do you have any idea what you've done?"

"I knew it would take something big to bring you home," Hope remarked.

"So, you had your little hybrid friend attack your mother?"

"Henry just did the heavy lifting. And 'attack' is a really strong word. Mom's fine. In a really nice coffin, sleeping. I cloaked her in a sleeping spell that I wrote myself."

"Oh, well, in that case, I've never been prouder," Nik stated sarcastically.

"Nik," I sighed, but he ignored me.

"Where is she?"

"You're just gonna go disappear again if I tell you," Hope alleged.

"Hope, there's a reason he hasn't been around," I cut in. "You are in danger when the two of you are in close proximity. Even now." The flowers on the table suddenly began to wilt, a snake slithering out of the vase.

"The dark magic inside us manifests itself in ugly ways," Nik explained. "We could be putting others in danger, too. The whole city."

"I don't care!" Hope exclaimed, standing from her seat.

"This is not a debate, Hope!"

"Nik, that's enough!" I yelled, moving to stand in front of him. "Yelling at her is not going to help; it's not going to give you answers."

Nik took a deep breath, calming himself, "the little girl I knew would never have dreamed up a scheme like this."

"Well, sorry to disappoint you. But that little girl hadn't read your memoirs," Hope declared. "You compelled Cami O'Connell to write your story. About a guy who used to put his family members in coffins and use them as leverage."

"So, you've studied my old tricks. Did you learn this one?" Nik quickly reached out, grabbing onto Hope's shoulder with one hand and her head with the other. "She's at St. Anne's."

Hope quickly pushed him away, "get out of my head!" Nik sent me a look and I nodded, quickly making my way out of the room. I made my way to Freya's room to ask her for help and the two of us made our way to the church.

"I may need your help waking her," I remarked as Freya followed me to the attic at St. Anne's church. "Hope was boasting about a cloaking spell, a sleeping spell." Opening the door and flipping on the light, I let out a gasp at the sight in front of me. The attic was a disaster; blood, fur, and broken furniture everywhere, the coffin open and empty.

***

"Hope, I went to the church to get your mother. She wasn't there," I revealed.

"What? No. I protected her. I wrote the perfect cloaking spell, I kept her safe. I don't understand. The coffin was just empty?" Hope asked, her eyebrows furrowing.

"The coffin was destroyed. Whatever happened to your mother didn't happen without a fight," Nik cut in. Seeing Hope begin to panic, he moved toward her, "look, I know it wasn't your intention for someone to get hurt. I know you did this because I left you with no choice. Sweetheart, look at me." Nik reached out, putting his hands on Hope's shoulders. "This – this is my fault. I'm gonna fix it. I've already spoken to Alaric. You'll go back to Mystic Falls tonight. I need to know you're safe." Hope began to cough and gasp for air. I quickly moved forward as she dropped to her knees.

"Hope?" I questioned, and a snake slithered out of her mouth.

"Go, go. You have to get out," Hope emphasized.

"Nik, go." He glanced at me before looking back at Hope.

"I'll find your mother," Nik declared. "And I swear I'll return her to you. I love you."

"Go!" I yelled, pulling Hope closer as she began to cry. Nik was gone in an instant.

***

"How is she?" Nik asked as I walked into the room.

I let out a sigh, "it took a while, but I got her to calm down. Between Hayley actually being missing and that snake coming out of her mouth, she was a bit of a mess. But she's on her way back to school now, so the compound is safe."

"I wish I could have been the one to comfort her. She's my daughter, for crying out loud!" I moved over to where he sat, draping my arms around his neck from behind.

"I know, Nik. And I can't even begin to imagine what it's like to be in your shoes right now. Wanting to help and be there but worrying about the consequences of being so close. I don't think I could ever do that with Finn and Delilah."

"I don't know what I'd do if I were forced to stay away from them. You know, she's lucky to have you, kitten. In times like this, she needs her godmother." Nik was quiet for a moment. "How did the twins do when you dropped them off?"

"They were a bit nervous, but Caroline made them feel right at home. I think they'll really thrive there. Especially with Hope being nearby."

"I hope so."

Sorry for the late update. I had to work all day and then I came home and got started on some homework.

My character and her story are of my own imagination. They belong to me and nobody else. Please do not steal. Copyright 2018.