Chapter 16

"What do you mean, 'Hope's missing'?" Nik growled.

"A few hours ago, she took off with a boy from school," Caroline revealed.

"What?"

"We're looking for them. In fact, our entire Honors Tracking class is on it."

"Who's this boy? I'm gonna kill him."

"Nik," I warned, sending him a look.

"We can't pinpoint their location yet, but they seem to be heading somewhere just outside of New Orleans," Caroline declared.

"So, she's coming home. Why?"

Caroline shrugged, "you can ask her when we find her."

"You two go. I'll stay here in case she shows up," I stated, looking between the two. Nik nodded, and I pressed a kiss to his cheek.

"Let's go."

***

As I drove toward the house Freya said Hayley was in, it suddenly began to hail. My eyebrows furrowed slightly as I looked up at the sky. Something was wrong. I pressed my foot down harder on the gas pedal, speeding up. Pulling up to the house, I quickly got out of the car, making my way up the front steps and into the house. Nik was on his knees just inside the door, a stake sticking out of his back. Hayley was pinned to the wall, one of Greta's hands wrapped around her throat. Before I could move toward either of them, Greta shoved her other hand into Hayley's chest, causing her to cry out. Hayley closed her eyes briefly, and when she opened them again, she reached up, ripping one of Greta's fingers off. I quickly moved forward, pulling the stake from Nik's back. Still holding onto Greta, Hayley ran past us and out the door. As soon as the sun hit them, they caught fire.

"No," I whispered, my eyes filling with tears. Hayley was gone.

***

My eyes slowly moved from the floor, wandering over to Hope, who laid on her bed, still unconscious. It had been several hours since Hayley died, and with both Elijah and Nik in New Orleans, she needed to be as far away as possible, which is why I had brought her back to Mystic Falls. Hope quickly sat up in her bed, looking around, "Mom?"

"Hope."

"What happened? Where is she?"

"Breathe. You're safe now," I reassured, moving toward her.

"Where is my mom?" Hope demanded and the lightbulbs around us suddenly exploded. Tears filled my eyes as I sat on the edge of Hope's bed. "What?"

"She's gone," I whispered, seeing tears starting to slip down her cheeks.

"No, no."

I pulled her into me, holding her tight as she sobbed, "I'm so sorry, Hope."

***

"The plane will be there to pick you up in half an hour," Nik declared from the other end of the call.

"We'll be ready," I replied, my eyes following a group of students passing by.

"Did you find a witch to help with our geographical predicament? I can't miss the second line."

"Vincent asked Ivy to do it," I revealed.

"Ivy hates me."

"Well, all the witches hate you, but they liked Hayley, and they know that Hope needs you today."

"Well, astral projection is tricky magic. This had better work."

"Freya guarantees it'll work. You'll be there in the only way you can," I reassured.

"I should never have agreed to this. I should be there beside her, holding her hand," Nik remarked, and I let out a sigh.

"I know, Nik, but the consequences of you two being together have been escalating. We can't bring that kind of danger into the city."

"This is her mother's funeral. I should let the city burn. I'm sick and tired –," Nik trailed off.

"What's wrong?" I asked, my eyebrows furrowing at the silence.

"If this houseplant gasping for life is any indication, there's another Mikaelson in New Orleans."

"That can't be right. Kol and Rebekah know to stay away, and Hope is with me." I let out a sigh as the realization hit.

"Elijah."

I would just like to start by saying: I am a TERRIBLE person. I almost forgot to update but then something reminded me that it was Monday and I suddenly remembered. (It's been an extremely crazy day).

Also, I would like to say, that I saw a spoiler about Hayley's death before I even watched the season so I knew it was coming, but I wasn't expecting it to happen in the way it did and I was so heartbroken. But it also felt like it made a little bit of sense because after what happened between her and Elijah, I knew there was no going back.

My character and her story are of my own imagination. They belong to me and nobody else. Please do not steal. Copyright 2018.