Shattered

After dinner...

Tonight had gone great, dinner was full of laughter and smiles. Neither of us brought up Jennifer or Kate, we just talked about our old Dancing with the Stars memories. He even held my hand during the last half of dinner and the whole drive home! I knew that this was the moment I would ask.

"Maks, can I ask you something?" I asked, as he turned down the radio.

"Yeah what's up babe?" He was now drawing lazy circles on top of my hand and it was making my heart flutter.

"Are the Jennifer and Kate rumors true?" I asked, biting my lip. Maks was quiet for a moment.

"No, of course not." He answered rather quickly.

"Would you tell me if it was true?" I wasn't sure if I believed him or not.

"Probably not." My heart sank to my stomach.

"Okay, I'm going to ask you again. Are the rumors true?" At this point Maks had pulled up to my house in his car.

"No, yes, well kinda. It was just a one night stand. I didn't mean for it to go that far, we both had a couple of drinks and we didn't know what we were doing. Jennifer and I just decided to forget it." Maks blurted out. I couldn't find any words to say.

"Oh, okay. Goodnight." I muttered as I opened the door. Before I could get out of the car, I felt Maks grab my arm.

"Wait, why do you care so much?"

'Because I love you.' I wanted to answer immediately but I knew I shouldn't.

"I was just making sure everything was okay." I answered.

"Meryl, you aren't my girlfriend, you're just my dance partner. You don't have to worry about me, I can handle myself." Maks chuckled a little bit, but I didn't. Those words stung like hell and I felt my heart shatter into a million pieces. He didn't love me...

"You're right, I'm just your dance partner." I tried to keep my voice steady but it wasn't working well. I could feel the tears burning in my eyes. I had to leave before I completely lost it and Maks immediately noticed my urgency.

"Mer, look at me." Maks tried to turn my head towards him but I refused.

"I really should go, it's getting late and I have plans tomorrow. Goodnight..." I pulled away and slammed the car door before Maks could reply. As I walked towards my front door, I could hear footsteps behind me. Knowing exactly who it was, I started to run up my walkway. When I got inside, I locked my door and sat behind it, crying hysterically.

"Meryl! Open this door right now! There's something wrong and we need to talk about it. Come on, please Mer-bear?" I cried even harder, I loved it when he called me that. But, I knew he didn't love me the way I loved him. He probably never would.

"Please, Princess? I know you're on the other side of this door, I can see you. You're upset and crying harder than ever before. Baby please open up." After a while, I slowly stood up and looked out the window of my front door. There was no one there. He'd left me, he'd given up right when I was going to let him in. He really didn't care... If he loved me, he would've stayed on my front porch all night long. But he didn't.

I moped upstairs, tears streaming down my face and my posture failing. Once I had reached my bedroom, I threw my dress onto the floor and climbed into bed in my bra and underwear.

I felt like a teenage girl that had just had her first heartbreak.