But, I love you...

"Okay, close your eyes." Maks helped me out of the car and put my hands in front of my eyes.

We'd been in the car for about fifteen minutes and I was ready to see my surprise. I heard keys jingling and a door unlock. There was a blast of cold air and the smell of burning candles.

"Can I open them now!?" I asked, jumping up and down.

"Almost." He grabbed my arm and pulled me slowly to the right.

"Okay, open them!" I opened my eyes to see candles on the floor surrounding a table with food on it. There were red and pink rose petals leading outside. The food on the table included spaghetti and shrimp. There were two glasses of champagne placed perfectly on the table. I looked up to see Maks biting his thumbnail nervously.

"Wow." I wanted to say so much more, but 'wow' was all I could say.

"Do you like it?" Maks was now rising up and down on his toes with his arms crossed.

"Maks, this is amazing!" I exclaimed, looking around one more time. Maks grinned.

"Shall we eat?" Maks motioned towards the table and I nodded. Before I sat down, he pulled out my chair.

'Meryl, stop. You're falling for him again. Knock it off.' I told myself.

As we began to eat, I started to think about why he was doing this.

"Maks, can I ask you something?" I played with a piece of shrimp on my fork.

"Of course, Princess." He responded, taking a bite of his pasta.

"What's all of this for?" He swallowed and cleared his throat.

"You." He smiled.

"But why?" I inquired.

"Because I wanted to apologize. I shouldn't have left you that night, I knew you were upset and I left. That was probably the stupidest decision I've ever made. I'm sorry, I really am." Maks teared up a little.

'Meryl, don't you dare. He hurt you, don't let him hurt you again.' I told myself.

"I forgive you." I muttered.

"Really?" Maks held both of my hands, drawing those same lazy circles.

'No Meryl! You can't fall in love with him! He'll hurt you.' I scolded myself.

"But, we can't be together." I pulled my hand away and Maks looked up at me.

"What?" Hurt and shock flashed in his eyes.

"We can't be together. We can't." My heart broke to tell him this.

"But, I love you..." My heart melted.

"No you don't."