(13)A Bitter Black Aftertaste

Just a friendly reminder that the competition is still up and running and will be for a while until this book is nearly done being uploaded. 

All information can be found on the 'Competition' chapter of this book. 

Now, without further ado...

A Bitter Black Aftertaste

My afternoon was spent trying to get closer to Eleos and it was ultimately to no avail. She remained distant and uncomfortable and frankly, I was starting to reach a new low in my optimism that this might take a turn.

I had one shot left.

Music.

Hemera and Thanatos had mentioned to me before that Eleos was the most musically gifted of the family, which explains why she immediately grew to like Trita. Trita was the new goddess of the arts and rightfully so. I didn't really want to go this route, but everything else I'd tried ended with her withdrawing even more and my frustration at failing growing.

I was not musically inclined. Not in the least bit.

But options were scarce and so was my time with Eleos. I know I shouldn't let her thoughts about me effect me like this, but for the life of me I had to know what caused her to instantly dislike me. Even fear me?

There had to be more here than the 'new, pretty sister-in-law'.

She wasn't like Eris. I couldn't imagine she'd be able to hurt a fly, but then again, she was Nyx's daughter.

"Are we done for the day?" Eleos asked, her tone fading at the end. She wanted the afternoon to be over with so she could retreat back to her room.

I felt bad for dragging her with me the whole day- showing her the grounds, the bridge Thanatos had placed over one of the waterfalls, new staff and even the workings of the festivals. She didn't complain though, but I think my presence pushed her away more than the actual tour.

Why though? That's the question.

"Not quite; I just need to check on the instruments I hired for Demeter's festival. But I could do that by myself, if you're tired?"

Her eyes lit up at the mention of instruments. "Musical instruments?"

I smiled; "Yes, Demeter planned for a small band to walk with her towards the fields."

"Oh, um... I'd like to see, please. If I may?" One thing about Eleos was certain- she was exceptionally well-mannered. I nodded and smiled, eager to have her attention and willingness to interact.

We headed of the stairs and into the huge ballroom where Opis stood with the band conductor, a scroll in his hand and a scowl on his old face. I could only imagine the frustration the old butler was experiencing. I was warned this conductor was a difficult man to please; he liked to test those above him, acting with more ego than sense.