Ellis

I'll see you 

on the other side

of the stars.

            While everyone else was angry with the situation, I was just upset. I am upset that I could barely move without my body protesting. Instead of shifting and running to the Kalyke pack, Wilder and I had to be fucking chauffeured in a vehicle by our mother and mate.

The pain was more prominent than the embarrassment though. No one knew why we were healing the way we should be. I know my mom is hoping that an older woman from this pack would be able to help us. The old woman had assisted the previous Luna with the pack who was also their main doctor.

There was a block between the beast and Wilder and I. It was as if he was shut out from us as we tried calling out to him, he stayed behind the screen refusing to come out.

Bexley's disappearance didn't help, if anything it made him retreat back even more. Maverick had been putting on a façade, the boy didn't realize that every Lycan in the house could hear his muffled cries from the room Bexley stayed in.

Emerson isn't any better, she stays in our mom's arms the moment she gets back from scouring the woods. We had absolutely no leads, nothing at all that could help us in finding where they took her.

Alpha Denali hadn't been back since this morning when Kendan got a few right hooks into his face as he stood there and took it, almost as if he felt like he deserved it.

I was in the dressiest clothes that we could find on shorthand, everyone was pausing in the search efforts to give a proper funeral to the man Bexley was with when she was taken.

The rituals within most packs are the same with the same basis that the bodies had to be buried. There was too much at risk if humans ever found out what was happening in our bodies, we had to burn the evidence. But from there, packs had their own choice to do with the remains as they wished.

From what we were told Lazarus was very traditional in his ways. He buried the ashes at the base of a tree so that the spirit was to grow with the remaining nature.

Callisto, on the other hand, goes out to the cliff, we release the ashes as the wind blows and their presence is back with the nature in that way.

The large walking boot on my foot made me look like an idiot. The scowl on my face was enough as Mia and Wilder walked slightly ahead of me, the both already felt the effects of my bad moon earlier this morning.

Wilder understood as Mia was holding a bit of a grudge. Wilder knew how it felt to be a Lycan and how easily were supposed to be able to heal. I shouldn't be restricted and in pain for two consecutive days. My head was hanging as I walked behind my twin and mate.

"C'mon, guys," I muttered lowly as we were on the bottom floor about to join the rest of the merging paths. "Are we really going to do this today?"

Wilder stopped walking as Mia spun on her heel, the usual spell book and notebook in her hands weren't there. "You don't get to just forget about it, Ellis. You've been snappy and moody for the past two days no matter what anyone says!" She threw her hands up in the air with an incredulous look on her face.

"I'm in pain, Mia!" I threw back at her, the pain flaring up as if knowing it was being mentioned. "I can't help with finding Bex because I'm in this fucking boot." I slammed the casted walking boot onto into the corner of the wall, the pain flaring up.

"So is Wilder, Ellis! And he doesn't call me a fucking bitch." Leaning against the wall I sighed heavily knowing I was in the wrong for that, Wilder was just staring at me from behind Mia. He wasn't what happened with what I had said to our mate.

"Mia, it wasn't like that."

"But it was, you knew exactly what you were calling me when you uttered those words from your lips. I don't care if you didn't want to get out of bed, we are on someone else's land. They are having a funeral for the last person that was protecting your sister before he was killed, the man who has given us the only lead we have, and you want to disgrace him by not even showing up to his funeral?" I was shocked as I stared at my mate, the words portraying just how much of an ass I had been as of late.

She wasn't doing anything to annoy me, she was doing it because it was the respectful thing to do as a visiting Alpha family. "I'm sorry." I apologized while holding my arms out.

She didn't say anything as she wordlessly accepted my hug and went back to Wilder, this time with the exception that they waited for me to walk on the other side of Mia.

. . . . .

The ceremony was beautiful. The ashes had already been burned before we showed up, but the fire was still raging as the colorful flames reflected off of the pack members faces.

"Does anyone have any words to say?" Lazarus looked different, it was one of the first things I noticed as he handled the ashes and put them into the freshly dug hole at the base of an Oak.

He wasn't in anything formal, he wasn't wearing a shirt, his hair tangled as he wore a pair of jeans, his feet bare. His eyes were still glowing, his beast still in prominent control. He would most likely be back searching when we were through here.

There was a murmuring through a group off to the side before chortles came from a few of the young adults.

"What was that Ethan?" Lincoln, the Beta of Kalyke stepped forward from where he had been standing beside Lazarus.

"I just said that it was a shame for Beckett to die for a spineless bitch." The clearing fell into a silent hush, the hair on the back of my neck prickling as my beast lifted his head from the back of my mind.

Regardless if Bexley hadn't shown her face due to the circumstances within the pack, they still knew their Alpha had found his mate.

"What did you just say about your Alpha Female?" The usual carefree Beta I had often caught sight of was nowhere to be found with the deadly tone to his voice.

"Such a shame that Beck had to die, at least he was useful to the pack. We're not even going to find the slut, she's going to be dead after they use her-" He never got a chance to finish. Everyone had been so locked on Lincoln and what he was going to do, everyone forgot about the distraught Alpha male who was more beast than man right now.

Ethan's body was knocked down, his throat torn from his mouth in a swift move before Lazarus' beast was snarling at those who stood in a circle with the now headless man.

"If you were under the impression that our Alpha doesn't care about his mate you were under the wrong impression." Everyone's eyes went back to Lincoln as he stood, his back straight as the crowd took in his serious posture.

"You all should be praying to the Goddess that we find our Alpha Female alive and in good condition. No one will want to face the wrath of an Alpha whose mate's life was torn from him in murder."

My eyes went back to where Lazarus' Lycan form had been towering moment before, only to find him gone as the trees lightly swayed from being disrupted.

A smirk found its way to my lips. Maybe the cold Alpha was in over his heels more than he knew. If anyone was going to find Bexley, it was going to be Lazarus. And that was going to have to be a fact that my family dealt with.

Bexley wasn't a baby anymore, she didn't need us coddling her.

Bexley was all grown up. Maybe, just maybe, we should start treating her as if she was an adult rather than just our little sister.

At this point, I had no doubt that her mate was going to keep her in line.