Wilder

The mountains that you are carrying,

you were only supposed to climb.

            "C'mon Wilder, why are you calling? I'm going to see you in the morning!" Bexley sounded tired over the phone, it was late at night as I paced in my shared bedroom as I wanted to make sure my sister was fine.

"I know, I just wanted to make sure you were all set to go." Partial lie. The churning in my gut was warning me that something was wrong. That something was going to happen.

"Where's mom and dad?" Her question didn't surprise me, she had been close to them her entire life, more so this past month.

"Downstairs, Kendan's watching the littles right now."

The smile and breathy chuckle floated through the phone as I watched her shake her head. "Do you remember when we were younger, and we used to sneak out of our rooms just to watch them fall asleep on the couch together?" My feet were moving as I did remember spying on my parents as they were so wrapped up in love as they relaxed on the couch together.

"You're going, aren't you?" Her voice took a turn, excitement running through my veins as she sat up straighter. "Turn the camera around." I did as requested as I hovered behind a corner, turning the phone volume down, even with the headphones in my ears I didn't want my parents to know we still spied on them 20 years later.

"They look so happy." My eyes briefly flickered to the phone as my sister screenshotted the image that she was seeing, a smile playing at her lips.

I had to agree with her though.

Our parents have always been in love with each other, regardless of their rough start they each gave everything to be with the other. My mother gave up her nomad ways and human life while my father lost pack members who didn't agree with a turned ruling their pure pack.

They always knew how to ground themselves when things were getting a little too out of hand. They had a fire going as they sat on the large carpet in front of the fireplace. They were on their knees as their foreheads were pressed against one another, an intimate position for mates.

Their marks that were placed traditionally on their necks were covered with the others hand as they breathed in slowly with one another, their eyes shut.

After having 6 kids, losing a child, having a pack destroyed, and nearly losing another child they had more than enough on their plates. Even more so now that they were previous Alphas. They intended to help as much as possible within the two packs that their children reside in.

They were good people, through and through.

They were always there for other packs, we had constantly harbored other Lycans from packs who just needed a break, we gladly took in beasts who were misunderstood or who felt their home pack doesn't understand.

My parents have done so much in their lives for them to be proud of, yet they continued pushing for more. They didn't want to stop until everyone was proud of the life they lived.

I froze as my fathers' eyes opened, acutely aware of Bexley taking another screenshot as he adoringly stared as my mothers closed eyes, still breathing in sync with her. This is what I had grown up with, a father who worshipped the ground his mate walked on.

I stepped back, allowing them privacy again as I turned the camera back around as Bexley was wiping the tears that had fallen from her cheeks. "Thank you for showing me Wilder, Ill see you guys tomorrow in time for dinner." Her watery smile was the last thing I saw before she hung up the phone.

Slipping my phone in my pocket, headphones out of my ear. The pressure was still on my chest, demanding to be known. I didn't like the thought of something else happening to my family, we had been through so much, we needed a break.

Bexley had been searching for her captor and stressing about the fact that he was still out there while getting acquainted with her new pack mates.

Kendan was struggling with the mate bond as Leia was unfaithful, an action that was severely looked down upon in the Lycan community. Things done before your mate could be forgiven, but once you cross that line after meeting your mate there is no going back. Your mate feels every forbidden act that you commit on their soul.

Stripping off my clothes, I felt unsettled as I slipped into bed on the other side of Olympia, her small body turning restlessly in her sleep as her hand found my own.

Things with my own mate and twin were stressed as we dealt with a loss we had never experienced for, we didn't know how to grieve as we hadn't known of the pup until it was already gone. We didn't have any time to rejoice in its life before it was taken.

I wanted to curse the Goddess, but I knew it wasn't my place, not when my mate knowingly didn't tell us and did it to save our sister.

Olympia knew we never would have allowed her to risk the pup's life, regardless if it meant Bexley had a shot at living. Mia thinks our decision would have still been the same, but Ellis and I know that there is no way that either of us or our beast would have allowed that to happen had we known.

We let Olympia think whatever she wanted to keep her conscious clear because had it been up to us her stomach would begin to swell with the pup and our sister would be dead.

And the thought unsettled me as I thanked the Moon Goddess for how the events turned around.

We just had to let her all-knowing presence guide us into the future with faith that we will all be okay in the end.