Chapter Nine

The next morning my father calls a pack meeting and has everyone gather in main house. Thankfully no one from our pack was killed last night, but there were a few seriously injured. Still in a daze from the events of last night I struggle to concentrate as everyone gathers in the main hall. Linda brings me a cup of coffee which I gratefully accept, after a few sips I start feeling better. After everyone arrives my father address the pack.

"You all know why I've called you here, the attack last night took us all by surprise, but what you may not know is that it wasn't just an attack on us. They attacked all major packs in the region the council included."

A few shocked murmurs broke out, my father raised his hand and they instantly quieted down.

"First let me just say we were lucky, apart from a few injuries we managed to not lose anyone and that's mostly because of these two."

My father extends his hand and Alice and Cora walk up looking a bit embarrassed. Claire steps up to speak.

"It's true, without them we would have been severely outnumbered. It was dumb fucking luck that they went on patrol with us last night."

"So, on behalf of me and my pack, thank you." My father says with a bow and the pack follows suit.

As I bow with everyone else I can see the girl's faces are full of pride and bow back.

My father raises his head and looks to the pack again.

"I would also like to acknowledge and commend our newest pack member for saving one of our own." My father looks to me and I realize what he just said. "Caden." My father calls me forward.

Surprised, it takes me a few seconds to gather myself up. As I walk towards my father I get a few claps and pats on the pack from members as I pass. When I reach my father, he looks at me with such pride.

I can't believe it, this is it, my dream come true. After years of hoping and wondering if I could or even deserve to be in the pack. I feel a weight lift off my shoulders, feeling so light and happy I wanted to cry, but I shake it off, now isn't the time.

"To Caden, our newest pack doctor!" My father exclaims.

The room erupts in cheers, out of nowhere my mother comes out and hugs me followed by the girls, my brother and Claire.

My father raises his hand again to quiet everyone down.

"Now, as Claire said before it was just luck that these two were with us last night. From what I've gathered so far other packs weren't so lucky. I'm hearing that many wolves were either killed or captured."

"Captured?" One of the pack members asks.

Charles responds. "Yes, from the way the attackers ambushed us and fought, it seems capturing was their priority, killing when not possible."

"But why?" Asks another member.

Charles looks to my father who gives him a reluctant nod, from there Charles tells everyone about the White Moon pack. Many were shocked by this new information while others were angry this was kept from them. After explaining that at the time they weren't sure the White Moon pack would be coming this way and didn't want to cause a panic, the pack settled down.

"The community meeting today is going to be very important, we got a lot of question and very few answers." Claire pipes in.

"Yes, but there is a pack that may have some answers." My father says.

"Who?" I ask.

"The Thorn-apple pack." My father answers

My body stiffens from hearing the name of Keira's pack.