Chapter 18

Ava’s wedding didn’t have the dramatic hospital visit that Kate’s did, but somehow we still managed to have a good time! A few weeks later and we were sat in the flat that me and Ryan shared. Kate was sat in between Andy’s legs on the floor and had her hands resting on her stomach. She looked up at Andy and nodded.

‘We have something we want to say.’ She started.

‘If it’s one of Andy’s idea’s then I don’t want to know.’ Joel interrupted. ‘His last idea involved a charity gig in which we would all play Beatles songs and jump around on stage dressed as Sgt Pepper!’

Andy looks hurt.

‘That was a decent idea actually, we could...’ He trails off as Kate looks at him.

‘Anyway..’ She continues. ‘I’m pregnant.’ There’s a stunned silence before everyone starts hugging everyone all at once.

‘Wow Kate! You both must be so pleased!’ I said when we could all breathe again.

‘Yeah, we are.’ She smiles shyly, looking up at Andy.

‘My sister was pregnant a few years ago. We can go raid her cupboards for any decent clothes!’ Ava grinned.

We spend the next few hours talking and laughing before everyone headed home. The next day, I got a text from work asking me to come in. It was my day off, but I didn’t want to lose my job so I decided to go. When I got there, Jenna pulled me into her office.

‘I told them you would say no. But I have to ask you anyway.’ She says, really quickly.

‘Ask me what?’ I say. The last time I had been in her office was when she had tried to fire me. That had ended with several bands of mine, gate crashing the meeting. She sits on the edge of her desk, obviously flustered.

‘They’ve offered you a new job, this one properly full time. New bands, better pay, more opportunities to do your own thing. You’re a photographer and this would allow you to explore your full potential.’ I couldn’t see anything to have got her so worked up. It sounded like an amazing thing.

‘However there is a catch.’ She continues and I sigh.

‘It’s in America.’

As I walk home I allow it to sink in. What was I going to do? My first instinct was to go. It would be an amazing experience! But then I thought about it some more and realised I didn’t want to leave Ryan or my life in London behind. I realised my dilemma. My career or my boyfriend.