Part 2: Friends

Emily's POV (Being the New Girl)

After Emily raised her hand and introduced herself to the teacher, she concentrated on the work on the board. She recognized it, and realized that she had been working on the same thing at her old school. So she happily copied down notes, sneaking glances over at Lily. "She's really cool," Emily thought. "Why did I have to ruin it by saying she looked cute? Maybe she forgot and we can be friends anyway?"

But then she scolded herself for expecting a newfound friendship to come so easily. Things had turned bad at her old school, and she had been a loner for a while after some bad stuff went down. After the incident, Emily had promised herself to never form a crush on a straight girl again. And she had held herself to that promise ever since (well, more or less).

After four more awkward classes where she had to introduce herself, it was the lunch period. Emily nervously made her way to the cafeteria, and waited on line for what looked like brown, lumpy sludge that was actually chili. With a 'healthy' looking piece of broccoli that limped unappetizingly.

She carried her tray nervously, searching for a friendly face to invite her to sit. But everyone had saw looked at her like she was something to dissect. Emily watched as the whole girly girl table turned, looked at her, then they all turned back and leaned towards each other to gossip. "Urgh," she thought. "Maybe I should look for Lily. Hopefully she'll want me to sit with her..."

Lily's POV (Winnie and Sarah)

During lunch Lily sat with her friends in the cafeteria. She brought her own lunch, but her other friends bought cafeteria lunch. They sat in a far corner, away from everyone else.

Lily began eating the apple from her bagged lunch as her friend Sarah came up behind her. She set her lunch tray down fast, and said in a hissing whisper, "Have you seen the new girl yet? I think her name's Emma." Lily smiled a little, remembering that morning.

"Her name's Emily, she moved here from New Jersey."

Sarah stared at her in surprise. "Where'd you hear that?"

Lily's other friend Winnie sat down with her lunch. She had gone over to say hi to her boyfriend.

"What're you guys talking about?" Winnie asked.

"New girl." Sarah replied.

"Oh yeah, I heard. Where is she?" Winnie moved her neck around, searching through the cafeteria.

Lily shrugged and continued to tell them about Emily.

"I met her this morning in Science. I fell asleep again." Sarah and Winnie both chuckled.

"Again?" They said in unison.

"You do that every week," Winnie said, rolling her eyes.

"Yeah I know..." Lily said sheepishly. "Okay, so I fell asleep and she woke me up. She's nice."

Sarah and Winnie looked at each other. "Do you think we should invite her to have lunch with us?" Winnie asked.

"Yeah, sure. She's new anyway, so she'll be looking for somewhere to sit, right? She's blonde and wearing a light blue sweater." Lily replied.

Winnie stood up and Sarah hissed at her, "Sit down, people are looking."
That only made Winnie hold up her hands as if they were binoculars. Sarah gave up on her and threw her hands in the air in defeat.

"Found her!" Winnie cried.

"Where?" Lily and Sarah asked at the same time. Winnie pointed at an empty table on the other side of the cafeteria, and Sarah reached up and knocked her hand out of the air. "Don't point, she'll know we're looking!"

Lily stood up, ignoring her friend's squawking protests, and started walking over towards Emily. "Come on," she called back to Winnie and Sarah.

They ran to catch up to her. "Are you sure this is a good idea?" Sarah hissed softly in Lily's ear.

"Why wouldn't it be?" Lily asked.

"I don't know..." Sarah trailed off, unsure. "Fine."