Part 3: Meeting Everyone

Emily's POV (New Friends, Maybe?)

Emily smiled nervously as three girls came over and asked if they could sit with her. One of the girls was Lily, which was a good sign she hadn't screwed up earlier, calling her... cute.

The two other girls introduced themselves quickly as Winnie and Sarah.
Winnie was really skinny and pale, with natural red hair and freckles, and was wearing a purple hoodie and jeans.
Sarah was a little heavier than both Winnie and Lily, and she had dirty blonde hair. She wore a Beatles t-shirt and a long black skirt.

Lily smiled at her as she sat, and Emily felt her heart skip a beat. "No," her mind scolded, instinctively.

She grinned back nervously, and glanced at Lily's redhead friend. Winnie had a tentative smile, as though she wasn't used to sitting with new people. Seeming to defy her own shyness, she bounced over to where Lily was and sat down next to her.
Sarah hung back and eventually sat down next to Lily, avoiding Emily's gaze.

Winnie broke the silence. "So you're from New Jersey? How come you're transferring this late into the year?"

Emily began to explain. "My dad just remarried. I don't really like her, we don't see eye to eye on..."
Emily paused, unsure if these guys were homophobic or not. Her step-mom was sort of homophobic, so who knew if her hometown was too?
"Some issues." She ended her sentence lamely. Wondering if the three other girls had noticed, she quickly added on, "And she made us move since she grew up around here."

"That sucks," Lily sympathized. Emily nodded in agreement. "Yeah."
"Did you have to leave some friends behind?" Winnie asked.

Emily frowned, remembering her best friends, who had turned against her at the end of last year. "Yeah, but they weren't very good friends."

"How come?" Winnie asked curiously.

Emily shrugged. "We had a few problems at the end of last year. Dating issues.
Our friendship was sort of dead anyway, before... The big fight we had over a boy." Emily rushed the last part of her sentence, and ignored the other girl's stares and questioning looks.
Oh god, she thought, I'm being so dramatic! She mentally buried her head in her arms.

Sarah finally spoke up. "That never happens around here, it's a boring town."
Emily shirked at Sarah's tone. It was slightly threatening, as though she suspected Emily to create a bunch of drama.

Lily noticed and rescued Emily from answering. She ignored Sarah's accusing tone.

"Sarah's right. Friends are friends here, not backstabbers, or whatever. Oh, wait... Unless you're friends with them," Emily followed Lily's gaze and saw the girly girl table.
They all wore crop tops or see-through shirts, and skinny jeans or skirts. You saw the occasional headband and vintage t-shirt.

Emily knew the type. If they were your friends they were super nice, but gossiped about you behind your back.
But if they weren't your friend, then you didn't exist to them unless you were involved in some scandal.

Lily's POV (So Many Questions...)

Lily watched as Emily studied the popular girls. She noticed that her gaze always lingered a few seconds too long on some of the girls. What did that mean? Did they remind her of someone, or was it something else?

Lily turned to her friends. Winnie was being great, asking Emily questions and getting to know her. Basically, being her bubbly self.
But Sarah was being kind of a let down. She wasn't talking to Emily that much, and looked as though she wanted to retreat to her usual table, with her usual friends only.

Lily dismissed it as her being shy. Hopefully she would get a little more used to Emily, and they could be friends. Lily turned back to her lunch, which lay forgotten on the table in front of her.

Sarah started eating again too, and Winnie and Emily were commenting on some of their fellow classmates. Lily listened as Emily asked about Lisa, the 'perfect girl'. Everything about her was perfectly in place. Today she was wearing light skinny jeans and a tank top with some cool designs on it. Her light brown hair was flipped over, and her silver charm bracelets clinked together lightly when she moved.

God, every person in their grade must've been attracted to her. Lily was hopeful that the other girls also thought Lisa was hot, because otherwise it was just confirming her worries.

Lately she had been noticing that she was sort of... attracted... to girls. And that would be unacceptable. Her parents and older brother would not be able to understand.

Lily watched as Emily analyzed Lisa, biting her lip in a sexy- What? No! Nonononononono... That's not what she meant at all...! Ughhhhhh!!! She had to get a handle on these weird thoughts that came out of nowhere.

Emily turned and looked quizzically at Lily. Lily's face grew warm, realizing she'd been staring at Emily's lips.
She turned her face down and stared at the table, too embarrassed to look up.
Winnie and Sarah noticed this. Winnie smirked slightly. Sarah blushed and mimicked Lily, staring at the table as though her life depended on it.

If this thing wasn't just a phase, Winnie would probably accept her. She just wasn't so sure that Sarah would.