40. my everything

Anne felt as though she were in a dream.

She had gestured for the box she'd rescued from the prison storeroom to be taken with them, before being lifted onto a horse. After that, she drifted in and out of consciousness, giving in to exhaustion. She was vaguely aware of being held tightly around the waist by Gilbert and riding through the night, the cold wind whipping at her as she went to her unknown destination. What she was most aware of was that for the first time in a very long time Anne wasn't afraid, she felt safe.

Gilbert's words had cemented into her mind - she was proven innocent. She was free.

Finally, they all knew that she was telling the truth and she was innocent of everything Joseph had framed her of. She was vindicated and it was bliss. Anne didn't care where they were headed or what was waiting for them at their journey's end. She was free, she was with Gilbert. She felt happy. Anne smiled softly, her eyes dropping as they rode, her small frame held securely on the saddle.

...

Gilbert, carrying Anne bridal style, followed closely by Diana holding the precious box and Wilson leading the horses were forced by the intolerably cold night to stop at an innkeep halfway to Avonlea to get rooms. Being young and just falling short of adulthood they had to use Wilson's badge to provide proof one of them was of age to book a room. Possessing only some money Diana had saved for emergencies that she had carried in her stocking they were able to rent two rooms for the night. Wilson produced money for his own room.

The inn was dark, quiet and smoky, providing a small lounge falling prey to travellers partaking in the simple refreshments delivered by tired-looking maids, the newspapers and their pipes. Gas lamps burnt low in the corners of the dark rooms. There were no young people and Diana felt very out of place amongst the rough, hardy types who were settled in the shady lounge. They all seemed weathered and she was glad of her cape which was dark and dirty to blend her in more.

Gilbert's only concern was Anne and her state of weakness, her hazy focus and stumbling steps. Anne had woken upon their arrival but she was still groggy, accepting support from him to walk. Her torn, muddy dress, dirty hands and face, tangled hair and scratches were a shock to any regular folk who were unaware of her experiences. Gilbert had leant her his jacket, which covered most of her appearance as it was long and oversized but her face and hair were a sight to behold. The jacket had been accepted bashfully, Anne passing him a shy glance from behind her red curls. It was warm after the wind especially to relieve her bare legs. Her bloomers only went down to her knees.

Luckily it was late and there was no busy-bodies around to nose and question, the only people in the innkeep who had any mind to bother with their business was the innkeeper's wife who quietly and kindly offered a hot bath and some bread and butter for the distressed young lass, which was gratefully accepted by Diana.

Gilbert caught Wilson at the stairs, "Thank you, for everything." He said, his eyes purveying his true sincerity. "We couldn't have found Anne and gotten her out safely without you."

Wilson felt a pleasant, warm feeling bloom in his heart. He'd made a difference to somebody, he'd made a positive impact. He'd done something important and changed lives... This was what he'd signed up for when he joined the police - this was what he wanted to do with his life.

"Don't mention it," Wilson smiled. "I'm just glad Anne is alright now."

"You're a good man. Avonlea is lucky to have you, officer." Gilbert shook his hand respectfully.

Wilson felt proud. He couldn't help but grin. "Goodnight, Gilbert. I'll see you in the morning for our journey back home."

He bade Diana and Anne goodnight before disappearing off upstairs to bed. The innkeeper's wife - who's name she gave to be Hilda - showed the others up to their rooms, which were situated opposite each other in the hallway. The hall was lined with wood panels, lit with gas lamps and warmed by the fires in the ground floor fireplaces. It was cosy. Hilda gave the keys to Diana and Gilbert as they nosed inside, finding simply-furnished, warm rooms. One held a bath in the corner by the fire, which Hilda had filled with hot water and lavender drops for Anne's bath.