Chapter 14

I watched my father being burnt alive in shock and I had stayed in shock until early morning. As I was drowning in my thoughts and slowly coming out of shock, I made a gulp of acceptance. My spirituality was guiding me. Guiding me to be strong and cope with all the things I had been going through. I realised that even though his death was extremely horrid for him, maybe he deserved it...It could have been karma; the universe punishing him for the wrong things he had been doing. This man abused me physically, verbally, sexually...however else, and he wasn't there for me as a father so I didn't lose much. I was safe from him...and I was able to try and start a new life.

I went back home and the place was so different. It was like I expected him to be drunk in the kitchen but the place was empty. I had this Saturday to rest and reflect so I went to bed.

I woke up at 12 pm. I had the best sleep I had in a while, actually...one without worrying about my father. I was excited by this because I felt freed though I wasn't completely freed because I was pregnant. I went to the bathroom and took a bath and freshened up, because I needed to get a job if I was going to support myself now. My house was already paid off but the bills I'd have to pay are the light bill, the internet bill, the water bill and property taxes. I'd also have to pay for phone cards and groceries. I planned on budgeting so I could make it work. The only question was where would I get a Job? And NO, I was NOT going to be a stripper.

My options for jobs were slim since I was 15 and in school, but I was sure not going down any illegal path. So I head to the heart of Tunapuna to go and look for a 'wok'.

When I arrived in the town I went to Mouse-ans had any job offerings. Mouse-ans was a store that sold really cheap clothing and accessories, a lot of people frowned upon the store and had bad stories about its products but I just needed a job. Unfortunately they did not need any help.

I next went to Nickelwise. It was a big popular cosmetics store that also had pharmaceuticals, health care and lots of other stuff people would need at reasonable prices. I went up to the counter and asked the worker for a job application. I had filled one out and surprisingly the manager had a meeting with me right away. The manager's name was Ms. Keeper and I was escorted to a back room where I was interviewed.

"So Ms. Leezlee I see you is fifteen years of age, why you looking for work at dis establishment?" She said.

"Leslie, and because I would like to have financial independence and not depend on my parents for too many things, and also help out at home" I replied trying not to cringe at the mispronouncing of my last name. By the way, I was such a good liar.

"Alright then miss lesbian, what school you going?"

"Am...Poppyseed High" (she just called me Miss Lesbian so I was trying not to laugh at that point)

"Oh hohhh," She replied, "When yuh cud work?"

"Part time every day" I said

"Well yuh get d job and ah cud set yuh up with dese hours," She slid me a paper

The paper was a contract and said on top 'Student's Hours 1' and stated that from Monday to Thursday I'd work from 3:45 pm to 5:45 pm, on Friday 3:45 pm to 6 pm, on Saturday, 7:15 am to 12 pm and on Sunday 7:15 am to 11:45 am. The job description was to do whatever was assigned to me by my manager and I was entitled to 2 casual days and a week of paid sick leave. I was to start the job and on the job training from Monday. My salary was minimum wage $15 an hour

I signed the contract and left feeling proud that I had just gotten my first job. Things may have been looking up for me.