Chapter 9: Training

1435

Years of the Trees

Tyelko wasn't entirely sure why keeping the swords hidden seemed so important. Rusco and Melwion had told him that if Nolofinwë's house got ahold of them, they would take the credit, so they kept them secret. Of course, Hrávien had sounded pretty intent on teaching Irisse how to fight, which Tyelko wasn't entirely opposed to.

She had always followed him around as a kid and as a young woman, insisting that he teach her hunting. Part of him wanted to teach Irisse himself... but with the way things seemed to be heating up between the three houses, it didn't feel right.

"Tyelko, how much further?" Telvo complained as he led his brown horse through the dense forest. He could hear his twin coming up behind. Telvo paused for a moment, pulling his moderate length hair into a messy bun. Sweat poured down his back. "Seriously, Tyelko?"

"Almost there, calm down," the blonde grumbled. His white horse followed the horse-sized Huan through the brush. "It'll be worth the wait."

Pityo called out from the back. "What could possibly be worth this hunting trip without hunting?!"

"Think of it as a camping trip then," snapped Tyelko. "You ungrateful children."

"We aren't children," Telvo argued immediately.

"Tell that to someone who'll believe it!"

Telvo grumbled something inaudible as they finally broke into a clearing in the forest. They had set out on a months long camping trip: three and a half weeks to the southern Pelori Mountains, two weeks while there, and another three and a half weeks back. Such a long trip was far from unheard of, but it usually involved hunting once they reached their destination. This did not. And frankly, Telvo didn't understand his older brother's logic.

"So why are we here?" Pityo asked, echoing his twin's thoughts.

Tyelko smirked. "Curvo and I have been working on a special project for years now. He's spent the past ten or so years perfecting it. And we decided to show you two first.

"So we came to a random clearing in the middle of the Pelori?" Telvo groaned. "Seriously, Tyelko?"

"Just be quiet," Pityo muttered to him.

Tyelko thanked the younger twin. "What I'm about to show you doesn't go beyond us three, and Curvo. Soon I'll show Nelyo, Káno, and Moryo too, but for now, keep it secret." He went over to a massive tree that stood two hundred feet high and ten feet around. A small section at the bottom had been carved out, just wide enough for Tyelko to duck inside. When he came back out, he held three beautiful weapons. "These are swords."

"Like in the old tales?" Pityo's jaw dropped. He tied his horse to a nearby smaller tree and hurried to his elder brother. "May I hold it?"

"Indeed!" Tyelko grinned and handed one over. It had a peridot stone in the crossguard, and the hilt had been crafted of an incredibly light, platinum colored metal. Then he handed a second to Telvo. "Here." His had an emerald in the crossguard.

The twins marveled at the craftsmanship. Clearly Curvo or their father had created these, for both had trained in mastery of the tindalta metal, the shining silver. Light as a feather but stronger than any other metal, tindalta made for the finest jewellery. And apparently now, it made for the finest weapons.

Tyelko showed them his, a tindalta sword with a crossguard gem of malachite. "Beautiful, aren't they?"

"Incredible," Telvo said breathlessly. He mirrored Tyelko's stance and grip. "Are you going to teach us to wield them?"