Chapter 17: Punishment

As Tulkas rushed from the wide hall of Máhanaxar, the elves broke into small discourse. But Varda called them all back together sometime later. She gestured for her husband to speak.

Manwë stood. "It is clear now that the elves were tricked into these actions. We shall find Melkor, and he shall be restrained. But we cannot ignore Fëanáro's actions."

At his king's command, Mandos stood and spoke to Fëanáro. "Thou speakest of thraldom. If thraldom it be, thou canst not escape it: for Manwë is King of Arda, and not of Aman only. Therefore this doom is now made: for twelve years thou shalt leave Tirion where this threat was uttered." He paused for emphasis. "In that time take counsel with thyself, and remember who and what thou art. But after that time this matter shall be set in peace and held redressed, if others will release thee."

Even as the room stood silent, shocked by the pronouncement of the Doomsman of the Valar, Nolofinwë spoke up. "I will release my brother."

Fëanáro made no answer, staring down Mandos with all his willpower. At last he turned, not giving anyone another glance, and stalked out of Máhanaxar. Finwë turned immediately to the Valar, but Mandos shook his head. He would not release the doom.

"If that be your decision, my lords, then hear this." Finwë looked around at the Valar, and then the gathered elves. "I will not rule in a city where my eldest son is unwelcome. I relinquish my crown, and go into exile alongside Fëanáro."

Manwë frowned, grief in his face. "Finwë, he committed grave wrongs. You understand why we must punish it."

"What I do not understand is how you bring punishment upon him, who was tricked by Melkor." But Finwë shook his head. "I will not ask you to pardon him. But I must do as I said. The crown will pass to Nolofinwë. Upon that time when Fëanáro is welcomed back, then I shall retake my place as king." Finwë turned and left the ring of doom.

The Valar made no response, watching as he left the hall. Eve saw Nienna's eyes watering with tears at the decision of the high king, but then she also noticed the blank face of Mandos, her brother. Clearly he did not share her sorrow.

The elves started to trickle out. Eve saw that Tyelko looked ready to kill someone, so angry was he. Káno restrained him, but only just, as he looked almost as furious. Seeing their fury ignited a spark in her own anger.

She turned to Nerdanel as they walked outside and felt her skin crawling. "How can they punish him like that? You heard what happened! It was Melkor!"

"The Valar must do what they think best," was all she would say. Then she turned back to Eve. "I am going to speak with my sons."

Eve tagged along with her. They found all seven of them in a circle, Moryo and Tyelko feeding off each other's anger. They saw that Curvo looked remarkably poised, as if he had decided on some course of action and would not change from it. When the sons saw Nerdanel and Eve approaching, they tried to calm down.

"We intend to depart for Formenos as soon as we are able," Káno told them. "Nixiel has returned to Tirion to gather supplies and tell those loyal to us to head north."

Telvo nodded. "There are many supporters both in Tirion and in Formenos already. We will lack for nothing once out of that Valar-forsaken city."

"What would you like us to have Nixiel bring north for you?" asked Tyelko quickly. "There are ample supplies for both of you in Formenos already. Whatever you do want north, Curvo brought a palantir to tell Nixiel."

But Nerdanel shook her head. "I will not go."

The seven brothers stared at her in shock. Betrayal, anger, agitation crossed their faces.