43. MOTHER DEAREST

Now Playing: Imagine Dragons, Whatever it takes

Magnus' Kitchen, Night

"THE RECIPE SAYS EXACTLY HALF A CUP," Alec said as he flattened out the ingredient, wiping the extra off. Grace looked at him weirdly "Cooking is art, not science," she said and he then raised his eyebrows picking up the piece of paper with the ingredients.

"If that was true there wouldn't be instructions," he said and she smiled, rolling her eyes "This is an old family recipe me and Izzy found after our grandmother died" he spoke pacing around the kitchen "My mother looked horrible till the day we made her this stew. It was the first time after a long time I saw her smile" he added stirring the stew.

"That is really sweet, Al" she spoke approaching him and then frowned "So adorable with radish in your hair" she added taking it out of his hair. Alec turned and suddenly Grace had the spoon in her mouth making her slightly stumble back. She ate it and started to test it in her mouth.

"How's that? Good?" he asked and she hummed in agreement as she chewed the rest of the food with difficulty. He nodded and left the room making her scrunch her face and grab water to drown the taste. She moved to the stew and grabbed all the spices and ingredients around, in order to balance the taste.

"That was hell" Grace spoke adding the ingredients in. She quickly tested it and smiled to herself before adding a little bit more salt. She heard Alec approaching and put the salt back on the table and stirred the stew as he walked in.

"Izzy texted, out, out, out" he pushed her away from the stew "She is going on a mission with Clary and Jace... That means it's just me tonight" he sighed nervously and she smiled turning to him "Just us okay?" Grace smiled at him and suddenly there was a knock on the door.

"Okay, so remember we're not bringing up my dad or the job at the Clave-" he spoke slightly smiling trying to play it off "Or that you're dating me" she smiled sarcastically and then sighed along with him "I-I'm sorry am I being terrible?" he asked and she shook her head "You're just tense" she spoke and looked behind her "Here drink this" Grace spoke and handed him a glass of wine which he instantly drank in one sip, before giving her the glass.

Grace looked at the glass and then he spoke "I'm okay. You're okay?" he asked and she nodded. As he started to walk away Grace pulled him back to her and grabbed his face in her hands before kissing him. She felt him relax into her and then broke the kiss, still holding his head "Relax" she spoke and he sighed nodding and jogged to the door.

"Oh boy" she sighed.

Seconds Later

GRACE FIXED HER HAIR, LOOKING AT THE MIRROR BEFORE NODDING TO HERSELF. Alec opened the door to come across a smiling Maryse with a bottle of wine in her hand. She opened her arms and spoke "My boy and girl" she said and walked in pulling Grace into a hug. Her eyes widened but she didn't deny the hug. Maryse pulled away and then hugged her son.