11: Hanging Out

"Hey," I said as I entered the cafe I was meeting Landon at. We had made plans to hang out after New Years.

Landon looked up from his cup and smiled slightly. "Hey," he said.

"I'm gonna order something."

Landon got up from his seat and followed me to the line. When it was my turn again the barista gave him a funny look as if she were saying "why the hell are you already back, I served you two minutes ago." I let out a faint giggle and then ordered before they realized. Landon sipped whatever it was he was sipping while we waited for my chai latte.

"What are you drinking?" I asked.

"Americano with creamer," Landon answered and handed it to me.

"Eugh, that does not taste good. Coffee never tastes good," I said handing it back to him.

Landon laughed at my reaction paused for a split second before his lips reached the cup's lid. I watched him curiously as he stared momentarily at the spot where my lips had just been before finally taking the plunge and drinking his coffee. Was it just me, or was that a bit odd? I mean, it couldn't have something to do with the fact that I drank from his cup; he offered first, so he couldn't have been grossed out right? My mind wandered to the possibility that Landon maybe, possibly liked me. But, no. I couldn't see that being the case. Liking me? Romantically? Yeah right.

The last real relationship I had, beyond the occasional makeout session/ hook up, was sophomore year of high school. And that turned out to be related to my family business, so the guy didn't even actually like me. I totally beat the shit out of him when I found out he was planning on doing something stupid that may have included kidnapping or something in order to get some ransom money. He was a real idiot and was bragging about his "brilliant" plan to his friends right outside the girls bathroom where I was coincidentally peeing at that time. When I heard him, I finished my business, walked out and punched him as hard as I could then kicked him to the ground and kicked him again just because I could. I went back into the bathroom and washed my hands then went to class like nothing had happened. He never tried to speak to me again, nor did many guys in my year and below.

"Chai latte," the barista called, bringing me out of my thoughts.

"Thanks," I said and grabbed the latte. "Shall we?" I turned to Landon.

"We shall," he replied.

We walked for about twenty minutes around campus without any destination in mind. I was tired, to be honest. I had the morning shift at work and had been up since 6:30. And it really didn't help that it got dark so early still.

"Wanna come over?" Landon asked. "It'll be warmer and you look pretty tired."

"Just what everyone wants to hear about their appearance," I teased.

"Wha-"

"How could you say that about me, babe? I thought you said that I was always beautiful!"

"Ugh, really? I don't see what you find so funny about this joke," Landon sighed.

"Oh come on. It's funny and you know it. I would never call you 'babe' if we were actually dating. Gross. But it's hilarious that your roommate still believes it."

"He's too gullible."

We had made our way to Landon's dorm building. I had never been inside since Landon and his roommate were the only people I knew who were living here, but the place looked nice. It was one of the newer dorms and therefore actually wasn't that bad to stay in, or so I've heard. Landon got out his lanyard and ID card. He was about to scan it when a wave of anxiety rushed through me. I stopped and looked around frantically. What the hell? Something was about to happen. I couldn't tell what, but it wasn't going to be good. And usually when I got this feeling, it was me that always ended up hurt in the process.

Landon noticed that I stopped walking beside him and looked at me confused. There was no one around us, not even inside, which I found weird. And suspicious. What in the hell was going to happen now?

"What's wrong?" Landon asked.

"I don't know. Let's just go inside?" I asked.

Before we could make a move towards the dorms, I felt someone rush up behind me. And then another person appeared on either side of me. It was all so quick that Landon didn't even have time to react. I, on the other hand, have super amazing reflexes and managed to punch one of them in the throat, but there were at least two others who grabbed my arms. I flailed around knowing that it wouldn't help much at this point. Landon started to run after me and my assailants, but we were already so far away. I threw my phone in his direction and shouted off six numbers that would unlock it. Thankfully, Landon caught on to what I was doing and ran to get my phone.

"Call my parents!" I yelled before being too far away to see Landon. Whoever it was that kidnapped me shoved me into a van and put cloth over my eyes so I couldn't see. I didn't see why this was all that necessary because I caught a glimpse of the van and it was a standard creep machine with already blacked out windows, so I wouldn't have been able to see out the windows anyway. I guess now isn't the time to be questioning and criticizing my kidnappers.