CHAPTER 35

TRIS

"We're gathered her today to show our support to the Reeds' family as they have lost their beloved son who - "

I block the words out and shift on my legs. I was too ashamed to face anyone, most of all Christina and Cara, Will's sister. No one noticed me standing behind underneath the trees and I am blending well with the rest of those who are attending Will's funeral.

Then there's Tobias standing as support beside Christina while she gives her eulogy for Will. Tobias hugs her as she sobs at the end and whispers something in her ear.

I look down at my shoes and feel guilty about everything that happened. It only took one day to hurt both of them.

"What are you doing here?" Christina had hissed at me when I followed everyone to the hospital.

"But Christina -"

"Please just go. I don't want to see you. He might even die because he tried to save you!"

"It's not my fault!" Christina lunged at that but Tobias held her back from behind. We were scolded by a nurse for making too much noise. After Christina had calmed down some, Tobias took me outside by my elbow.

"Can't you think about someone other than yourself sometimes?" He had scowled down at me and my eyes watered. "Christina is upset and is only taking out her anger. You just had to quiet down and let her vent out, that's all! Stop trying to play the victim all the time!"

"Tobias, I'm not!"

"Don't call me that! Only people I love have got the right to," he snapped.

He shook his head in anger then. "We were there for you when you needed us. We wish you did the same, too."

"Please, Four. Don't do this."

His face had scrunched up in something that resembled disgust... or pain? A mixture of a sob and a scoff left his mouth and he went away.

I wipe the tears as I recollect that night. I don't look back up at the people I considered friends.

"You were close?"

I look up in surprise at the deep voice. A man with blonde hair and dark grey eyes looked at me with concern. I stand up straight from where I was leaning on the tree. I rub my arm which got sore. He looks like the anti-Tobias but handsome through and through. The freckles somehow look attractive on him which spread from his nose to his cheeks.

"I was," I nod.

"Shouldn't you be paying your respects, then?"

However much attractive he was, I didn't like his nosiness. Or maybe his question might be reasonable and I was too uncertain about answering it. "No, I'm good."

"I'm Zack, short for Zackery. With a 'ck'"

"I'm Tris." I had to make new friends some day, I figured. Zackery offers his condolences to a few people who pass by to leave.

I see Uriah, Christina, Cara and Tobias sitting in the front. They've set their chairs to make a circle and Shauna, Zeke and Lynn sit down as I watch them. Even Marlene's sitting with them and it's nauseating to realise that I've been replaced. I look down, contemplating if I should leave or find a chance to pay my respects without having to deal with them.

"Want to get out of here?" Zackery speaks up.

"I'm sorry?" I say, almost horrified. "It's a funeral; of someone who was my friend until he tried to save my life. He died! And I wish I was in his place. People would be happier and no hearts would be broken! So, no. I don't want to get out of here." I look down and sniffle. My outburst wasn't loud but it was uncalled for. So I wait for Zackery to leave me behind.