11. Time's Lie

Ehren jogged towards the powerful force, his elderly eyes intense with humility and curiosity. The council of shadows followed his footsteps, and while he paid close attention to their movement, his concentration was fixated on the source of energy.

The shadows suddenly came to stop, incredulity embedded in their expressions. Vibrant colours of the spectrum reflected in their eyes, sparks of light igniting continuously as the masses' energies elevated.

Ehren slowly moved towards them, crouching slightly with caution. The others stood behind him, a few of their eyebrows furrowed with concern for their leader.

Suddenly, a bright burst of radiance pierced through the atmosphere, blinding everyone in its small vicinity.

Ehren narrowed his eyes, his tall built standing erect, though his palms remained relaxed. The ball of masses disappeared from their sights, discreetly changing into the materialism of two infants.

The vigour of the two Beings was staggering, causing almost all other than Ehren to stumble. Nevertheless he approached them, kneeling as he gently held the two who were clad in white.

The little boy stared at his reflection in his bearer's brown lake, a drowsy expression resting on the former's face.

Silence followed as Ehren stood up, turning towards the people behind him. A soft smile was on his face, spreading an aura of relaxation through the tense atmosphere.

"Who are they?" came the deep voice of an adult. Ehren lifted his gaze towards the head of the Velox-Viators, his face diminishing to a nonchalant expression. He looked back at the little ones, a deep thought entering his mind. The aura that propagated from the two was beyond his comprehension, yet he felt a solicitous sense of duty towards them, needing to protect them from all harm.

"I'm not sure of their origin."

The honour accompanying Ehren's tone could bring any creature of any age to wish to serve him, yet he sensed the little one's proud aura intensify at his words.

"However..."

The mellifluous sound trailed into the atmosphere, a wise glimmer passing his sight. He knew that no ordinary Shadow-Trapper could know about this moment, for such power was abstruse.

His tone had never been so gentle, but it was as if their power urged his own to evolve. A smile broke through his expression as he looked at the two with an unfamiliar fondness.

"Welcome, Jay and Pranetra."

- - - - -

Jay stood alerted, his hands by his side. Adoration reflected in his eyes as he observed his leader walk towards him. He suddenly felt a gentle hand play with his hair to which he paid no heed.

"Oh come on, Pranetra. Don't trouble Mr. Serious here. Not that there will be any repercussions."

Jay's expression remained unchanged other than the emergence of confusion in his eyes. Pranetra narrowed her eyes, shaking her head as slow as a snail and Ehren let out a gentle laugh. He rested his hand on Jay's head, the warmth greatly appreciated by the boy.

"Are you sure the two of you want to learn from me?"

Jay nodded slowly. "If it's no problem..."

"Oh that is no issue. It's just that you two have the ability of mind-control, while I create illusions."

Jay glanced towards Pranetra, a knowing look coming in his eyes.

"I think that's perfect for us."