9. At Their Ends

The heat that emanated from the room build up with time, seemingly draining energy from the shadow-trappers rather than giving, as energy normally did. Elek took a deep breath, turning towards Galen with a firm smile. The latter nodded. This second encounter with Vlad in Alesund was daunting, but they could do their work.

Together, they could all rescue Ariana.

Creating a barrier that shielded Galen and Elek from Vlad's fire's radiations was no easy task, but after twenty-four years of practice, Galen had to be capable of something. Galen felt light as he re-directed those particles, slightly turning himself and Elek translucent, just enough to not catch the demons' attention. They created circles around a tent-like structure, which is where Ariana was probably held.

His full trust rested in Elek who levitated the two across the air, making Galen's job easier as Elek kept them in the darkness above. 

Cautiously, Elek dropped his friend and himself on the ground between the innermost and the penultimate circle, scanning his surroundings. The demons stood as still as statues, no longer appearing to be a part of the living. The demons stood alternatively, some facing the two while others' backs were turned towards them. Yet, they were unable to feel Elek and Galen's presence.

They truly were mindless.

"I'll go get Ariana now. Will you be able to handle them?" Galen whispered gently, doing his best to not blow off their cover. 

"Who do you think you're talking to?" Elek murmured with a grin, bending his knees as he stood his ground. Galen shook his head with a smile, moving towards the inner circle with mindful steps, not making the slightest bit of sound while containing his equate it to zero.

Slowly, Elek's presence became more evident as Galen walked away, diminishing the radius of his shield. The fire around him blazed to life, and the inner circle of demons suddenly turned towards him, their eyes wide open, but a dark, ghastly veil concealed them.

The flames raged around Elek as he stood firmly, his eyes glinting with determination. The light of the inferno was blinding, and staring into it made one's eyes feel like they were on fire.

Unfortunately for them, Elek's polished blades could reflect the light and transform the effect to purify the demons' energy. The eyes were the doors to their energy, after all.

Elek constantly swirled the metals around, causing the demons to shield their eyes and lose their momentum. Reflecting it back at him was futile since the energy's composition was now different.

Every attack that Elek attempted hit the spot intended with the precise force required, rendering the demons unconscious. After all those years of his practice and 'experiments', he couldn't afford to go wrong now.

Elek was grateful for the ritual. The Technique of Solis was inefficacious against a fire of pure darkness or one of the purest energy; the presence of a mystery, a shadow would amplify the vigour.

Not that any element of only good or evil existed in the world. The presence of both was required for balance.

Suddenly, Elek felt a mind-crushing force weigh on him, threatening to break his stature. He gripped his ground, forming a magnetic bond with the particles of the ground. The cruel strength didn't falter, but neither did his will.

It was him.

"Hello," the tone slick with cruel mockery echoed in Elek's mind, attempting to reach the depths of his thoughts.