10. Across Realms

"I'm so glad you're here with us Ava. Please don't leave!"

Ava shook her head, much to Audrey's disappointment. The latter girl was missing home already, and Ava was only in the changed environment the six shadow-trappers understood their new lifestyle.

Their new house sat deep in the forest, hidden by the Shadows' dimension and thus safe from human interference. A clear, blue lake was situated a little distance from it, brightly reflecting the afternoon sun and each Ray seemed to alleviate a section of that tensed atmosphere. A heavy feeling overcame Ava as she saw Nature's potential in that simple scenery.

"We've got to get to work immediately since I return tomorrow," Ava declared, and Audrey's face fell immediately.

Ava removed a small, black device from her pocket, gesturing for the others to do the same. Elek and Galen were surprised by how light it was and shared a knowing look, agreeing to study it later. Trina noticed their expression and whispered something in Ava's years.

"Don't you dare dismantle the communicator, Elek and Galen. You do that, and Trina will dismantle you. You know she can actually do that."

Elek, gulped and Evelyn laughed hard, though Galen only gave Trina a wink.

"She knows it theoretically."

"That's enough for knowing you simpletons," Trina shot back, and Audrey chuckled lightly, feeling slightly better.

"You were about to show us something, Ava," Trina said, returning to the matter at hand.

The instructor gave a small nod and turned the communicator on, showing a map to them. As she stared at the thin square covering about half of her palm, Ava couldn't help but wonder if she finally ought to adopt such a lifestyle, too.

There is no way. No want, not need.

"This map shows the location and density of demonic creatures. The least density is denoted by a colour at the higher end of the electromagnetic spectrum, that is indigo. The frequency decreases with increasing intensity, and the most is shown by red. If the colour is bright, the creatures' power is less, and more if it is dark."

Ava's head momentarily shifted towards the ground, a look of heavy worry crossing her eyes. Her tone remained as firm as ever.

"You must never allow the colour to turn red. If you see a place with that colour, do not approach it, especially in your early years. It is far too dangerous."

The others nodded in understanding, though Evelyn didn't do it too sincerely.

"Anyway, you can also send your locations to the other members of your team either through a black dot, or through audio messages. There is also a button which allows you to contact the headquarters, though that is only in cases of emergency."

"What if you want to simply talk to someone?" Audrey asked, and the others paid attention with a hopeful look.

"I'm sorry," Ava apologised with a smile. "but through devices, it isn't possible. Electromagnetic radiations can give away our positions to unnamed enemies."

"Even though that's the energy that runs through us?"

Evelyn bit her lip, not wanting to argue, but she couldn't stay quiet.

"Precisely why. In that way, the use of human technology masks our presence."

Evelyn sighed, nodding her head. Audrey, however, was more concerned about the 'unnamed enemies'.

A low beep came from the communicator, catching everyone's attention. A blue glow was on the screen and Ava immediately headed for the door, calling the others to follow her.